Mexican City Bans Indoor Nudity

  • n1n31nchn3rd
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2004
      Mexican City Bans Indoor Nudity

      MEXICO CITY, Dec. 22, 2004

      (Photo: CBS/AP)

      "The majority of houses have a lot of ventilation and we give ourselves
      the luxury of going naked. Because we walk past the windows, you see a
      lot of things."
      Councilwoman Blanca Estela Pulido

      (AP) Alarmed by glimpses of sweaty citizens in the buff, the city
      council in the southeastern city of Villahermosa has adopted a law
      banning indoor nudity, officials confirmed on Wednesday.

      The regulation, which takes effect on Jan. 1, calls for as much as 36
      hours in jail or a fine of $121 for offenders in the Tabasco state
      capital, 410 miles east of Mexico City.

      "We are talking about zero tolerance ... for a lack of morality,'' said
      city councilwoman Blanca Estela Pulido of the Revolutionary
      Institutional Party, which governs the state and city.

      Opposition party councilman Rodrigo Sanchez said in an interview that
      the measure, part of a larger series of prohibitions, "tramples on the
      rights of the citizens by taking laughable measures such as
      contemplating penalties for citizens who walk around nude inside their
      houses."

      "I have no idea how you detect the naked. You'd have to have a big
      operation to try to bring it under control," he added.

      Pulido said she was confident that citizens who catch a glimpse of
      offenders would report them to police -- though the law also threatens
      jail for peeping Toms.

      The city on the southern Gulf of Mexico is noted for its swelteringly
      hot, humid climate.

      "The majority of houses have a lot of ventilation and we give ourselves
      the luxury of going naked," Pulido said. "Because we walk past the
      windows, you see a lot of things."