Bush's Hometown Newspaper Endorses Kerry

  • n1n31nchn3rd
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2004
      Bush's Hometown Newspaper Endorses Kerry

      Sep 29, 11:06 am ET

      CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - The newspaper in President Bush's adopted
      hometown of Crawford threw its support behind Bush's Democratic rival, Sen.
      John Kerry.
      The weekly Lone Star Iconoclast on Tuesday criticized Bush's handling of the
      war in Iraq and for turning budget surpluses into record deficits. The
      editorial also criticized Bush's proposals on Social Security and Medicare.

      "The publishers of The Iconoclast endorsed Bush four years ago, based on the
      things he promised, not on this smoke-screened agenda," the newspaper said
      in its editorial. "Today, we are endorsing his opponent, John Kerry."

      It urged "Texans not to rate the candidate by his hometown or even his
      political party, but instead by where he intends to take the country."

      Bush spends many of his weekends and holidays at his Crawford, Texas, ranch.

      The Iconoclast's publisher and editor-in-chief, W. Leon Smith, said the
      newspaper is sent to Bush's ranch each week. "But I don't know if he reads
      it," Smith said.

      The White House brushed aside the endorsement. "I feel pretty confident
      about the people of Crawford and the state of Texas in this election," White
      House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

      The Kerry campaign welcomed the move. "Those who know George Bush the best
      say it the best: John Kerry will restore dignity to the White House and
      provide the leadership needed to get America headed in the right direction,"
      said Kerry campaign spokesman Phil Singer.