I can just imagine the stench!
- Corpse to Be Buried After Fails to Rise
Aug 24, 11:49 am ET
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South African authorities will bury a 77-year-old
man who has been dead seven weeks despite his family saying a "prophet" had
promised them he would be resurrected, police said on Tuesday.
Paul Meintjes's body was returned to his family late last week after the
local mortuary refused to store it any longer. The body was kept in his
widow's bedroom at their Free State home for three days before officials
said it was a health risk and ordered it taken to the state morgue.
"The body is OK -- it is still recognizable," police spokesman Sam Makhele
told Reuters by telephone from Bloemfontein. "But after a few days out of
the fridge the smell was not OK."
Police had obtained permission from a magistrate to bury the corpse, he
said. This would happen in the next 24 hours.
The family did not oppose the move in court, Makhele said, adding that the
family would not be allowed to attend the funeral because the cost would be
met by local authorities.
Meintjes died on July 1 but has been in South African newspaper headlines
ever since, with his family at loggerheads with other members of their small
farming community over his anticipated resurrection -- several dates for
which have come and gone.
Police had no dealings with the Durban-based "prophet" and could give no
more details about him, he said. South African media has named him as a
former bank manager who has since gone to ground.