Police Probe 'Miracle Babies' Pastor

  • n1n31nchn3rd
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22 6:02 PM
      Police Probe 'Miracle Babies' Pastor

      Aug 20, 9:29 am ET

      NAIROBI (Reuters) - Kenyan police are investigating whether a pastor who
      claims miraculous powers to make infertile women pregnant may be involved in
      child trafficking.
      Gilbert Deya, a Kenyan pastor who heads the British-based Gilbert Deya
      Ministries, claims to exorcise demons from women who are unable to conceive
      naturally by praying for them.

      The women, some of whom are past menopause, are then brought to Kenya where
      they supposedly give birth and return to London with babies, police said.

      "We believe in God, but we do not think God works that way. These are not
      miracle babies, they belong somewhere," Criminal Investigations Department
      spokesman Gideon Kibunja said on Friday.

      "We are interviewing the people found with the children ... We suspect it is
      a child smuggling ring."

      Police Tuesday discovered 11 children aged between five months and 12 years
      living in Nairobi with a 56-year-old woman who said she conceived them
      without having sex with her husband after Deya's wife prayed for her.

      The couple are under arrest and the children have been transferred to a home
      in the Kenyan capital. Kibunja said police were arranging for DNA tests to
      be carried out on the children, with the results expected next week.