Re: Believing in Hell Has Its Benefits

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 4:06 AM
      --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "n1n31nchn3rd"
      <n1n31nchn3rd@p...> wrote:
      > (Yea ok. Why does the world think we are an evil liberal, atheist
      > nation more corrupt than anyone?)

      The world does not think of the US as a liberal, atheist nation.
      Though they do often think of it as evil and more corrupt (the first
      is debatable but the second seems to be true).

      > Economists searching for reasons why some nations are richer than
      > others have found that those with a wide belief in hell are less
      > corrupt and more prosperous, according to a report by the Federal
      > Reserve Bank of St. Louis.

      What is the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis?

      Such a thing would also seem to contradict all the research that Barna
      Group has done which has found there to be no difference in the
      morality of atheists and fundies in most areas (and in the one area
      they did find a difference the atheists came out more moral).

      > Researchers at the regional Federal Reserve bank acknowledged the
      > importance of productivity and investment in the economic process
      > but looked at some recent unconventional efforts to explain
      > differences in national prosperity.

      I think the level of science would make a difference. Consider also
      that the best scientists tend to be atheists who aren't very likely to
      believe in such outdated crap as hell (though of course there is
      always Io to send the fanatics).

      > "In countries where large percentages of the population believe in
      > hell, there seems to be less corruption and a higher standard of
      > living," the St. Louis Fed said in its July quarterly review.

      What about Japan? I doubt they'd be many there who believe in Hell
      yet they're doing pretty well.

      > For instance, 71 percent of the U.S. population believe in hell and
      > the country boasts the world's highest per capita income, according
      > to the 2003 United Nations Human Development Report and 1990-1993
      > World Values Survey.

      Could it just be that the US

      > Ireland, not far behind the United States in terms of income,
      > likewise has a healthy fear of a nether world with 53 percent of the
      > population acknowledging hell's existence.

      What about countries where the majority of people are intelligent
      enough to disbelieve hell?

      Of course none of this post really matters since hell doesn't exist.