Re: [Death To Religion] a call to atheist action

  • Damon
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2004
      Vino,

      I know we are going under a spiritual upheval here in the US but out
      of curiosity how is Atheism viewed in your country? Do you feel
      threatened or made an outsider?

      --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, vinodh <vinodhrathnaa@y...>
      wrote:

      > I appreciate you proposal and I am fully with this
      > group. I am in India- New delhi, Please suggest me to
      > join a group active here in India.
      > Regards
      > Vinodhrathnaa
      >

      > --- madlinguistics <madlinguistics@y...> wrote:
      > > A Call to All
      > > Atheists.
      > > We have sat complacently too long. We must be
      > > silent no longer.
      > > Religion continues to plague the world and propagate
      > > itself,
      > > manipulating religious caused problems as proof of
      > > the need for
      > > religion. We must step forward and show the falsity
      > > of their lies at the
      > > same level that they spread their missionaries.
      > > In order to begin to undo the damage of
      > > fundamentalism, we must
      > > begin to organize our ranks and systematically point
      > > out the errors of
      > > all religions. We must put their lies on the
      > > streets and hand them to
      > > passers-by. Even in the religious churches and
      > > schools. Atheists have
      > > been accused in the past of "infiltrating" churches
      > > to "draw the flock
      > > away." I say we should make good on it. Leave
      > > leaflets around the
      > > church pointing out contradictions, brutality,
      > > sexism, etc. Teenagers
      > > are more likely to realize the lies, opposed to
      > > someone being in the
      > > church 22 years would rather consciously fool
      > > himself than admit he
      > > was deceived. Christian bookstores, religious
      > > sections at bookstores
      > > and libraries, under windshield wipers, especially
      > > in religion-prone areas,
      > > are prime locations for the undoing. The more noise
      > > they make about
      > > us, the more known what we are doing will be. I
      > > have seen comics
      > > books like the ones the Christians hand out, but
      > > about how bullshit it
      > > really is. We will not be ignored.
      > > All religions have flaws in their writings.
      > > Some, like the Mormons,
      > > hide them or say that God told them to change it.
      > > The Christians ignore
      > > it, and the mistakes in the Q'oran go unnoticed. We
      > > must put them
      > > under a light for all to see. The Bible says that
      > > there are fools that
      > > would not believe the truth not matter what. They
      > > are right, but not all
      > > are like that.
      > > I propose organizing with something like the
      > > "Atheist Meetup" group
      > > (atheist.meetup.com) They are in every city. We can
      > > start with a core
      > > of these and we can only grow. The atheist who does
      > > not know why he
      > > is the only one susceptible to them. In schools,
      > > churches, workplaces,
      > > to the streets we will go. We will put superstition
      > > in the museum of
      > > history where it belongs.
      > >
      > > -Cipher
> [...]
    • don_salensky
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2004
        While I admire your enthusiasm, I'm not sure your approach will be
        the most effective. Subtlety, I believe is the way to change the
        mind. Dress like the people you want to sway. Look like them, talk
        like them. Once they've accepted you, then you can start to change
        their minds.

        Easier said than done, I know. But I can speak from experience,
        the "I'm an atheist and I'm not going to be ignored!" approach just
        doesn't work. People get defensive. And when they do, reason, your
        only crowbar, flies right out the window. Slow and subtle is the way
        to affect change. It's much less satisfying, but it works.

        -D