Re: [Death To Religion] Digest Number 292

  • Josh Barron
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2003
      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:50:28 -0800
      From: " Safwa A.Salah El Dien"
      Subject: just a story

      A man went to a barber shop to have his hair and his beard cut as always. He started to have a good conversation with the barber who attended him.
      They talked about so many things and various subjects.

      Suddenly, they touched the subject of ALLAH. The barber said : "Look man, I don't believe that ALLAH exists as you say so."
      "Why do you say that?" Asked the client.
      "Well, it's so easy, you just have to go out in the street to
      realize that ALLAH does not exist. Oh, tell me, if ALLAH existed, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If ALLAH existed, there would be no suffering nor pain. I can't think of a ALLAH who permits all of these things."

      The client stopped for a moment thinking but
      he didn't want to respond so as to prevent an argument.

      The barber finished his job and the client went out of the shop.
      Just after he left the barber shop he saw a man in the street with a long hair and beard (it seems that it had been a long time since he had his cut and he looked so untidy).

      Then the client again entered the barber shop and he said
      to the barber : " know what? Barbers do not exist."

      "How come they don't exist?"-asked the barber. "Well I am here
      and I am a barber."
      "No!" - the client exclaimed. "They don't exist because if they did
      there would be no people with long hair and beard like that man
      who walks in the street."

      "Ah, barbers do exist, what happens is that people do not come to me."
      "Exactly!"- affirmed the client. "That's the point. ALLAH does exist, what happens is people don't go to Him and do not look for Him that's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."

      _____________________

      Why do people do this? I don't get it. I am subscribed to over 10 religous discussion groups (theist...I suppose I like to hear what they have to say). I have never seen some atheist come into those groups and openly throw crap stories and texts at them just to show them, "Hey, I'm right, you're wrong!". Yet it seems to go the other way around all the time. Are you that narrow-minded? Can you not accept other peoples' beliefs and move on? Why must the theist always try to "save" the atheist? Maybe I don't agree with your faith, but I'm not going to attack it because I don't.

      I am the Guardian of the Void.

      "Now! Now is the time to decide! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow!" -- Auron, FFX.
      "Most people say nothing is faster than light. Yet when light travels to a place, it finds a Dark Nexus there waiting for it."
      -- Justin Kenworthy

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2003
        --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, Josh Barron <videege7@y...> wrote:
        > Why do people do this? I don't get it.

        I think it's to do with them just having a need to belong to
        something. If they're not part of a crowd they just don't feel
        comfortable. The bigger the crowd the more comfortable they feel so
        they do whatever they can to enlarge that crowd.

        Add the fact that many religions consider conversions to be a duty and
        a good thing and failure to do so to be bad and it does tend to cause
        people to post such annoying things.

        I'm wondering if the original poster is even reading the follow-ups or
        even interested in our opinion of such things.

        > I am subscribed to over 10 religous discussion groups (theist...I
        > suppose I like to hear what they have to say).

        I'm long past the point of going into such groups. I just don't see
        any real point in trying to debate them since they aren't going to
        change their minds and in all likelyhood aren't going to provide a
        reason why god exists.

        > I have never seen some atheist come into those groups and openly
        > throw crap stories and texts at them just to show them, "Hey, I'm
        > right, you're wrong!".

        No, strange how we don't have to do that. Maybe it's because we don't
        need to follow the crowd (or at least the ones who actually care about
        the issue wouldn't) so we don't need to deconvert people to feel good.
        Might also be a realisation that it's a waste of time.

        > Yet it seems to go the other way around all the time. Are you that
        > narrow-minded? Can you not accept other peoples' beliefs and move
        > on? Why must the theist always try to "save" the atheist? Maybe I
        > don't agree with your faith, but I'm not going to attack it because
        > I don't.

        Such people are a minority of theists. Most of them probably don't
        even care about the religion all that much (depends on country though)
        and many would be quite willing to just not speak of it. But there
        are always those that have to force their beliefs on others. We
        should probably be grateful they're only using spam since many of them
        would be fully capable of using stakes and fire (and the more modern
        ballistic missile and nuclear warhead combination) to get conversions.