  • Bruce Allen <ab72756@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2003
      rimandy11 wrote: "Can we find an explanation of the great universe?
      Is there any convincing interpretation of the secret of existence? We
      realize that no family can function properly without a responsible
      head, that no city can prosperously exist without sound
      administration, and that no state can survive without a leader of
      some kind. We also realize that nothing comes into being on its
      own. .........."

      What is the purpose or goal of searching for an explanation of the
      universe? In this case the answer would be that the search itself,
      not what the search would reveal, is an excuse for introducing
      mythology into the argument, nothing more, nothing less. This makes
      the second statement regarding "the secret of existence" a statement
      as to the beliefs of the author rather than a question. The belief is
      that there is some sort of 'secret'. This give the perception of
      something being intentionally hidden rather than simply not yet
      discovered. Are we starting to see a trend in the thought pattern
      here? Then the statement about a family without a head. By very
      definition a family has a head, the argument is non sequitur as there
      is no link between the universe and the family. Also, 'proper'
      functioning is a judgment call and is based on social norms. The same
      argument applies to the example of state. To have a state one must
      have those things that make it a state, one of which would be the
      leader. Both examples are of human constructs of social order and
      provide no argument for the creation of the universe.

      The last statement, "nothing comes into being on its own" implies
      intent. However, there is no evidence provided that supports
      intention. Many effects are the results of unintended cause. For
      example, a forest fire cause by lightning. There is cause and effect
      by no intent.

      There could have existed the potential for everything needed to build
      our universe in some singularity that resulted in 'the Big Bang'. We
      have the potential cause, the obvious effect and no need for intent.
      The only things that result in effects from intent are those caused
      by living creatures with biological bodies.

      The rest of the arguments presented are as fallacious as these first
      and therefor totally invalid. While there are redeeming qualities in
      Islam, as there are in most religious faiths, they are all little
      more than attention traps for the human mind. If we had enough to do
      that it would keep us barely but sufficiently fed and sheltered, we
      wouldn't have time to create mysteries for ourselves.