need to believe.

  • ab72756
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2002
      "The sad thing is that most people actually require something to
      beleive in to function."

      They do not need to believe in gods or superstitions to fulfill this
      need. They only need to be included in something bigger than
      themselves. They need to be involved and included in something they
      percieve as bigger than any indivual. Group and community projects
      help fulfill this need, as do wars, where everyone can percieve of
      their own, however small, contribution as important. Things like the
      great pyramids, the wall around China, the Greek cities, the
      irrigation canals of South America, etc., etc., were all built
      because people cooperated due to the "belief" that this was more
      important than any worth they have as individuals. Nothing motivates
      like the feeling of being important.

      Covert motivation can also be used for great good.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2002
        > They do not need to believe in gods or superstitions to fulfill
        this
        > need. They only need to be included in something bigger than
        > themselves. They need to be involved and included in something they
        > percieve as bigger than any indivual. Group and community projects
        > help fulfill this need, as do wars, where everyone can percieve of
        > their own, however small, contribution as important. Things like
        the
        > great pyramids, the wall around China, the Greek cities, the
        > irrigation canals of South America, etc., etc., were all built
        > because people cooperated due to the "belief" that this was more
        > important than any worth they have as individuals. Nothing
        motivates
        > like the feeling of being important.
        >
        > Covert motivation can also be used for great good.

        Perhaps I can define myself more clearly.

        "As humans, we have a desperate need to believe in something,
        anything. This makes us eminently gullible: We simply cannot endure
        long periods of doubt, or of the emptiness that comes from a lack of
        something to beleive in. Dangle in front of us some new cause,
        elixer, get rich-quick scheme, or the latest technological trend or
        art movement and we leap from the water as one to take the bait. Look
        at history: The chronicles of new trends and cults that have made a
        mass following for themselves could fill a library. After a few
        centuries, a few decades, a few years, a few months, they generally
        look ridiculous, but at the time they seem so attractive, so
        transcendental, so divine."
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2002
          --- In deathtoreligion@y..., proleus <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > "As humans, we have a desperate need to believe in something,
          > anything. This makes us eminently gullible: We simply cannot endure
          > long periods of doubt, or of the emptiness that comes from a lack of
          > something to beleive in.

          I think this is due merely to social factors which work to enforce a
          gullibility culture. If people were bought up to think of doubt as
          normal and taught not to be ashamed to admit not knowing something
          then we'd probably have less gullibility. Most people whether they
          admit it or not try to be like their own parents. If they're parents
          always had the answers to everything (or appeared to, in many cases
          appearance is confused with actuallity) then they'll think that's the
          way children have to be raised, by parents that can always provide an
          answer. If they don't have one they can often tend to make one up,
          even if it's just to shut the child up.

          > Dangle in front of us some new cause, elixer, get rich-quick scheme,
          > or the latest technological trend or art movement and we leap from
          > the water as one to take the bait.

          This is due to a lack of sceptism amounst the general population.
          Most people haven't been taught how to recognise scams so they are
          prone to falling for them. They also tend to pride themselves on
          being the kind of people who can't fall for scams which can make them
          deny it as well as cause them to let their guard down due to
          overconfidence. Most scams tend to be a lot less obvious then most
          people delude themselves into believing. But then again it's
          comforting to know that scams are easy to spot so they can be avioded.

          Until one falls for a scam.