Re: Why are people so stupid?

  • devas666
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
      Sartre says man is condemned to be free, "condemned because he has
      not created himself and is nevertheless free. Because having once
      been hurled into the world, he is responsible for everything he
      does." Man must create himself.

      That's my existentialist thought for the day.
      ...they see although they cannot know...
      devas

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
        --- In deathtoreligion@y..., "co2foolvsp" <hydelane@a...> wrote:
        > The meaning of life is to give life meaning.Thats the bait on the
        > hook religion uses.Once they snag you the next step is to get you
        > put your reasoning in a wooden crate and pack it away in the bussom
        > of the church dogma.Once you have replaced reasoning with
        faith,they
        > got you where they want you.You are easily manipulated from that
        > point on.The human species is between a rock and a hard place,we
        > experience the love of life and the certainty of death.Most people
        > cannot except this fact of life and turn to religion with its
        > promises of a after life.The whole scenario is quite childish and
        > silly but people of faith choose not to see that side of it.They
        are
        > like drowning men grasping at straws.

        It is much more than that. Religious organisations feed upon human
        desires for answers, attention, and need to beleive in something.
        What I find sad is that some people will stop beleiving in their
        religion, will actually begin to think for themselves but will hit an
        impass in their lives and look for a new course to take. Instead of
        looking all around for multiple solutions to their predicament, they
        turn towards religion. Why? because it is all they have known (sad I
        know but true).

        It is however very true that religious organisations (all apply)
        opress critical reasoning and free thought. They donot want their
        followers to think for themselves. Doing so would cause them to
        conceive of ideas that are not in the best interest of the religion
        (or their pocket books, you make up your mind). Why do you think they
        attack secular humanism. They claim it is the downfall of society. I
        laugh histerically whenever I hear that it has infected all of
        society when I know for a fact that it has barely any influence at
        all. Hell, they don't even have a official organisation or political
        party to defend their position.

        Personally, I would rather know the truth and have real hope for our
        future than a false hope built upon lies and decipt.