Re: Why are people so stupid?

  • co2foolvsp
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2002
      Being a Athiest I have no expectations of a after life,I find the
      religious scenario to be quite silly and childish.I view life as a
      one day pass to Six Flags.I go for the gusto.Beyond death is
      nothing.The Universe has no meaning and is indifferent to us.If we
      commited nuclear suicide tommorrow the Universe would continue with
      its eternal meaningless existence not effected in the least.Life
      likewise has no meaning except for the meanings we give it.Basically
      life is a bitch and then you die.Most people cannot except this fact
      and thus we have religion.As for what I am grasping at,well I guess
      its the gusto.
    • devas666
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
        Sartre says man is condemned to be free, "condemned because he has
        not created himself and is nevertheless free. Because having once
        been hurled into the world, he is responsible for everything he
        does." Man must create himself.

        That's my existentialist thought for the day.
        ...they see although they cannot know...
        devas

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
          --- In deathtoreligion@y..., "co2foolvsp" <hydelane@a...> wrote:
          > The meaning of life is to give life meaning.Thats the bait on the
          > hook religion uses.Once they snag you the next step is to get you
          > put your reasoning in a wooden crate and pack it away in the bussom
          > of the church dogma.Once you have replaced reasoning with
          faith,they
          > got you where they want you.You are easily manipulated from that
          > point on.The human species is between a rock and a hard place,we
          > experience the love of life and the certainty of death.Most people
          > cannot except this fact of life and turn to religion with its
          > promises of a after life.The whole scenario is quite childish and
          > silly but people of faith choose not to see that side of it.They
          are
          > like drowning men grasping at straws.

          It is much more than that. Religious organisations feed upon human
          desires for answers, attention, and need to beleive in something.
          What I find sad is that some people will stop beleiving in their
          religion, will actually begin to think for themselves but will hit an
          impass in their lives and look for a new course to take. Instead of
          looking all around for multiple solutions to their predicament, they
          turn towards religion. Why? because it is all they have known (sad I
          know but true).

          It is however very true that religious organisations (all apply)
          opress critical reasoning and free thought. They donot want their
          followers to think for themselves. Doing so would cause them to
          conceive of ideas that are not in the best interest of the religion
          (or their pocket books, you make up your mind). Why do you think they
          attack secular humanism. They claim it is the downfall of society. I
          laugh histerically whenever I hear that it has infected all of
          society when I know for a fact that it has barely any influence at
          all. Hell, they don't even have a official organisation or political
          party to defend their position.

          Personally, I would rather know the truth and have real hope for our
          future than a false hope built upon lies and decipt.