why religion, why gods

  • ab72756
    Message 1 of 7950 , Nov 29, 2001
      Early man assumed the existence of gods due to a
      psychological need for an understanding of their own existence
      which was brought about by a newly acquired ability to
      reason abstractly. The beliefs that helped placate the
      fear of mortality, enhanced survival and reproduction,
      are the same ones that lead to the belief in
      other-world spirits. These were encouraged by dreams,
      nightmares and hallucinations. Because man was able to
      define himself and believed that other animals did not,
      he usually defined gods with the qualities of man.
      Since the beliefs have never been static but rather
      continually change, it is obvious to an unbiased observer
      that these religious values and icons are manufactured
      by and for humans. But, because man is aware of his
      own mortality, he clings to ideas and arguments that
      dispute it. While these beliefs were beneficial to early
      man�s survival, they have now become harmful to the
      survival of not only mankind but all life on the Earth. We
      as a species need to give up on the idea of
      afterlife or otherlife and become responsible for this life
      and this place of life. To do otherwise is to further
      promote the destruction of our planet and its spawn.
      Message 7950 of 7950 , Mar 30, 2002