Re: Imortality

  • ab72756
    Message 1 of 7950 , Jun 3, 2001
      Another point I will make is that living longer
      will not make anyone happier or more contented with
      his life. The emotional changes that will occur with
      immortality are unknown but I would speculate that they would
      not be anything like those of mortal man. This would
      indeed alter their moral and ethical concepts. The
      immortals would be vastly different. Would that be good, or
      bad? I guess that at that time it would depend on
      which you were, but I expect that there would be little
      equality between the two species. <br>I can visualize
      possibilities in which immortal humans could co-exist with
      mortal beings and even mortal humans. Even possibilities
      where all could be happy or content. I can�t however
      think that those possibilities ever would come about.
      Man is fearful of things he does not have or
      understand and control. Fear will prevent being comfortable
      with large differences. While we are now becoming more
      comfortable with differences we saw as huge in the past, such
      as race or nationality or religion, the differences
      between mortals and immortals would prohibit overcoming
      fear. For the immortal, I would expect that they would
      become so bored as to be even less concerned with
      survival of themselves or anyone else. They would probably
      become so different mentally and emotionally that they
      would be considered mentally ill by the standards of
      today. Of course, as I said earlier, those standards
      would be among those changes of altered ethics and
      morality.
      Message 7950 of 7950 , Mar 30, 2002