Re: Imortality

  • ab72756
    Message 1 of 7950 , Jun 3, 2001
      Now specific arguments:<br><br><When our
      ancestors first developed civilisation, they lived about 40
      years give or take, more and more ppl every year are
      pushing the 100 mark and a few are making it to 120
      (maximum biological life span for humans).> <br>You�re
      not making sense here. What point are you trying to
      make. That evolutionary change occur which change our
      expected lifespan, or that our social developments have
      given us the ability to reach our predetermined maximum
      lifespan?<br><br>The longer a species takes to progenate, the longer
      the gap between generations and thus the slower the
      evolution process takes. <br>Changes in the length between
      generations of a single species simply puts it out of phase
      its environment, disturbing the ecological system
      which they share.<br><br>Humans whent through radical
      evolution upto about 10000 years ago when we started to
      assume our present form, the only changes to our species
      since then have been the gradual adaption of the
      various groups of humans to their specific enviorments
      thus wich made the races of man as they are seen
      today. <br>This is only speculation. My question
      however, is, what does this have to do with making your
      point, or mine?<br>I didn�t say nor do I even remotely
      believe that evolution is a process of constants but I do
      know that every species in an environment has to
      relate to the rest of the species in that environment in
      such a way as to survive. Anything that makes it
      difficult for some life-form causes that life-form to adapt
      (evolve to something different) or perish. Historically
      the life of Earth has adapted to the natural
      pressures on them in ways that have developed through
      millions of years of evolution. Man disturbs that natural
      process, seemingly without regard to the consequences.
      Through his actions the natural evolutionary processes
      fail to work and therefore the ecology of the Earth is
      unhealthy. If mankind uses his ability to control his
      natural lifespan he will change not only his own
      evolution but that of all other species he encounters, even
      more. If man thinks that his current state of evolution
      is at its absolute best then stopping his evolution
      will be a good thing. If perhaps we might continue an
      evolutionary path which would ensure our and other species
      survival for ever longer times then we need to keep
      procreating. But there is no way to keep procreating and keep
      living longer and longer. Earth can not provide for an
      ever expanding population. It can not provide for the
      populations that are already here without eliminating more
      and more species.
      Message 7950 of 7950 , Mar 30, 2002