Re: Atheism

  • marlino_2000
    Message 1 of 7950 , Apr 14, 2001
      You all overlook one very important aspect in the
      matter. The USA and Germany and also parts of Europe are
      completely differant in the matter of Religion. In the USA
      more than 90% of the people believe in god and are
      more or less religious. So religion is very strong in
      the USA. In Europe maybe 50% believe in god, for
      example in Austria. In Hamburg were I come from 50% are
      Christians, but even of those many are only "traditional"
      Christians. In Europe Christianity has lead a desperate fight
      against atheism. <br>We have many people in Germany who
      are educated as atheists. Or look at Russia, where
      Christianity was suppressed for 70 years. Because there are so
      many atheists in the German society and atheism isn't
      a matter of intellectuells or
      terrible problems. For example I had for some time a
      friendship with a guy coming from an atheistic family.
      Social democrats of course. Our relationship was very
      difficult. This guy was not at all stupid but coming from an
      atheistic background he was not able to understand anything
      about Christianity. For example we had several
      chancelers coming from the Christian democrats for example
      Helmut Kohl. That is also a big differance to the USA
      that we have a big party like the Republians and
      Democrats in the USA which is called Christian democrats
      even if we have much less Christians. But do you
      really think that Helmut Kohl couldn't have gouverned
      Germany if he had lost his faith? you must be a little
      child to believe that. But actually there are people
      who believe that. Of course simple people. Simple
      atheists and simple Christians. If you are getting older
      and are not stupid you will not believe that any
      longer. Especially if you are a Christ. If you are not
      this is much more difficult for you! This is the
      strange experience I have made that atheists tend<br>to
      have a more naiv view of the world even if they are
      not stupid. And I mean grown up atheists of whom you
      have got - to emphazize this point again - many more
      in Germany as in the USA. <br>So if you say that
      Christians are "brainwashed" or crazy look at the fact that
      they have the possibility to vote and choose between
      two big parties the Christian democrats and the
      social democrats whereas people coming from an atheistic
      background are mostly slaves of the social democrats. <br>I
      can understand very well that you suffer from "gods
      own country" the USA, were the churches are still
      very strong, and it is much more difficult to live as
      an atheist as in Germany were nobody cares as there
      are so many atheists and Religion is a very privat
      matter ( with the big exeption of political matters).
      But try also to understand my German experiences of
      atheism being something which splits the German society.
      Message 7950 of 7950 , Mar 30 2:42 PM