Whatever....

  • phoenix_ascent
    Message 1 of 7950 , Nov 1, 2000
      Found this posted in another
      Fenwick<br>OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - An Oklahoma high school
      suspended a 15-year-old<br>student after accusing her of
      casting a magic spell that caused a teacher to<br>become
      sick, lawyers for the student said on
      Friday.<br><br>The American Civil Liberties Union said it had filed
      a lawsuit in U.S.<br>District Court in Tulsa,
      Oklahoma, on behalf of student Brandi
      Blackbear,<br>charging that the assistant principal of Union
      Intermediate High School in<br>Broken Arrow, Oklahoma,
      suspended her for 15 days last December for<br>supposedly
      casting a spell.<br><br>The suit also charged the
      Tulsa-area Union Public Schools with repeatedly<br>violating
      Blackbear's civil rights by seizing notebooks she used to
      write<br>horror stories and barring her from drawing or wearing
      for me to believe that in the year 2000 I am walking
      into court<br>to defend my daughter against charges of
      witchcraft brought by her own<br>school," said Timothy
      Blackbear, Brandi's father. His daughter is now a
      chapter, said the<br>"outlandish accusations" had made
      Blackbear's life at school unbearable.<br><br>"I, for one,
      would like to see the so-called evidence this school
      has that a<br>15-year-old girl made a grown man sick
      by casting a magic spell," Bell said.<br><br>A
      lawyer for the school district declined to
      comment.<br><br>The lawsuit, filed on Thursday, alleges that
      Blackbear was summoned to the<br>office of assistant
      principal Charlie Bushyhead last December after
      a<br>teacher fell ill, and was questioned about her interest
      in Wicca.<br><br>According to the lawsuit, Brandi
      Blackbear had read a library book about<br>Wicca beliefs
      and, under aggressive interrogation by Bushyhead, said
      she<br>might be a Wiccan. In fact, Blackbear is a Roman
      Catholic, according to the<br>newspaper Tulsa
      World.<br><br>"The interview culminated with Defendant Bushyhead
      accusing Plaintiff,<br>Brandi Blackbear, of casting spells
      causing (a teacher at the school) ... to<br>be sick and
      to be hospitalized," the lawsuit said.<br><br>The
      lawsuit stated that because of the "unknown cause" of the
      teacher's<br>illness, Bushyhead advised the 15-year-old girl "that she
      was an immediate<br>threat to the school and
      summarily suspended her for what he
      arbitrarily<br>determined to be a disruption of the education
      process."<br><br>Doug Mann, the school district's attorney, declined to
      comment, saying laws<br>protecting the school records of
      juveniles barred him and the district from<br>responding
      outside of court.<br><br>"It's totally unfair that we are
      gagged by federal and state law and they<br>can say
      anything they want," Mann said. "If the parents will sign
      a release<br>for what's in the girl's files, we
      will talk about the true facts."<br><br>The lawsuit
      alleged Blackbear's civil rights also were violated when
      school<br>officials prohibited her from wearing or drawing in school
      any symbols<br>related to Wicca, a religion that
      dates back to pre-Christian
      and financial damages<br>for Blackbear, a declaration
      that the school violated the girl's rights,
      an<br>injunction preventing the school from banning the wearing of
      any<br>non-Christian religious paraphernalia and an order expunging
      her school<br>record.
      Message 7950 of 7950 , Mar 30, 2002