Confucius

  • dilbert_treblid
    Message 1 of 7950 , May 4, 2000
      In the ancient Confucian school, time entered
      into their considerations only in relation to the
      approximate times of action of the sage in society. The
      "mean" or "norm" (chung) was the guide for emotion and
      society, but it must be flexible in application, for
      circumstances alter cases and no fixed rules of duty could be
      laid down, hence in the classic called the "Doctrine
      of the Mean" (Chung Yung), it is a "timely mean"
      (Shih Chung) that one must follow. In the "Book of
      Changes" (1 Ching) too, this conception in the right
      timeliness in everything is very prominent. Confucius, in
      his doctrine of the "rectification of names" (Cheng
      Ming), had insisted on a spade being called a spade, no
      matter how powerful the interests which wanted it to be
      called a shovel; and it was the duty of the historian,
      even though he was what we should call a civil
      servant, an eater of the bread of authority, to render
      judgments on the acts of the past without fear or favor,
      "for the punishment of evil-doers, and the praise of
      them that did well." A book ascribed to the literary
      critic Liu Hsieh (AD 550), the Hsin Lun (New
      Doscourses), has an interesting section entitled Hsi Shih
      (Sparing of Time). Here we read: "The worthies of old,
      wishing to spread abroad benevolence and righteousness in
      the world, were always struggling against
      time...Confucius grudged every moment lost from reading." Ho
      Hsiu's <br>(AD 139-182) work became the standard
      commentary on the Kungyang Chuan. He wrote: "In the age in
      which we heard through transmitted records, Confucius
      saw (and made evident) that there was an order
      arising from Weakness and Disorder <br>(Shuai Luan), and
      so directed his mind primarily towards the general
      (scheme of things). He therefore considered his own State
      (of Lu) as the center, and treated the rest of the
      Chinese oikoumene as something outside (his scheme). He
      gave detailed treatment to what was close at hand, and
      only paid attention to what was further away...In the
      age of which he heard through oral testimony he saw
      (and made evident) that there was an order arising of
      Approaching Peace <br>(Sheng Phing). He therefore considered
      the Chinese oikoumene as the center, and treated the
      peripheral barbarian tribes as something outside (his
      scheme). Thus he recorded even those outside (his own
      State) which failed to reach agreement, and mentioned
      the great officials even of the small States...Coming
      to the age in which he (personally) witnessed, he
      made evident that there was an order (arising) of
      Great Peace (Thai Phing). At this time the barbarian
      tribes became part of the feudal hierarchy, and the
      whole (known) world, far and near, large and small, was
      like one. Hence he directed his mind still more
      profoundly to make a detailed record (of the events of the
      age), and therefore exalted (acts of) love and
      righteousness..."<br>The Confucian form of "cosmic reprocity" was
      essentially social, and in origin it antedated by many
      centuries the entry into China of Buddhism and Indian ideas
      of reincarnation.
      Message 7950 of 7950 , Mar 30, 2002