Re: Girl spanked to death in the name of God

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2011
      --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Godwin" wrote:

      > There is another form of child abuse seldom recognized: forceful
      > teaching the young kids they are sinful by nature, tainted by
      > "original sin", condemned by God, needing redemption, being sorry
      > for being sinful, and trying to please that imaginary despot
      > controlling the earth, the power that always sees them, criticizing
      > everything they do which is not acceptable. Should children grow up
      > beginning this way? The parents, and many of the preachers in
      > churches the parents force the kids to go, should be condemned by
      > civil government.

      http://nospank.net/humphrey.htm goes into that argument in quite a bit more detail.

      I'll freely admit that my strong leanings towards freedom of speech give me reservations about banning such teachings although those same leanings also lead to me banning parents from preventing their kids from hearing opposing viewpoints (and also not letting parents opt their children out of science or comparative religion classes).