Girl spanked to death in the name of God

  • killertiel
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2011
      "Loving" religion results in the death of an innocent child. Sickening!

      http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2011/08/15/exp.ac.tuchman.punishment.cnn
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2011
        Not as rare as it should be.

        When you consider that most cases of child abuse are corporal punishment gone out of hand, that smacking doesn't actually work any better than alternative discipline methods and the evidence linking smacking to psychological problems it's hard to justify not punishing every parent who hits a child (even if it is their child).

        The ultra-religious do tend to be much more inclined to beat their kids (and they get the same result as what the bible described happened to Rehoboam) though they aren't the only ones.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2011
          There is another form of child abuse seldom recognized: forceful teaching the young kids they are sinful by nature, tainted by "original sin", condemned by God, needing redemption, being sorry for being sinful, and trying to please that imaginary despot controlling the earth, the power that always sees them, criticizing everything they do which is not acceptable. Should children grow up beginning this way? The parents, and many of the preachers in churches the parents force the kids to go, should be condemned by civil government.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22, 2011
            --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Godwin" wrote:

            > There is another form of child abuse seldom recognized: forceful
            > teaching the young kids they are sinful by nature, tainted by
            > "original sin", condemned by God, needing redemption, being sorry
            > for being sinful, and trying to please that imaginary despot
            > controlling the earth, the power that always sees them, criticizing
            > everything they do which is not acceptable. Should children grow up
            > beginning this way? The parents, and many of the preachers in
            > churches the parents force the kids to go, should be condemned by
            > civil government.

            http://nospank.net/humphrey.htm goes into that argument in quite a bit more detail.

            I'll freely admit that my strong leanings towards freedom of speech give me reservations about banning such teachings although those same leanings also lead to me banning parents from preventing their kids from hearing opposing viewpoints (and also not letting parents opt their children out of science or comparative religion classes).