Re: [Death To Religion] There’s no such thing as the Bible and never has been

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2011
      So you buy Timothy Beal.

      The "Edenic myths" applied to ancient times, in the case of Genesis to
      compositions in the Hellenistic Age, around 200-100 BCE, referring to
      the past beginning with a creation story updating the Enuma Elish,
      relying largely in the book "Babylonica" written by Berossus, a
      Babylonian priest and historian: for Chaps. 1-11. That's NOT "us."
      Their thinking was very different from ours in modern,
      post-Enlightenment scientific times. So it's a mistake to relate this
      myth, or any ancient myths, to us in our times. They are illusions to
      us, but in ancient times there was no significant difference between
      illusion and reality, or myth and what we call real history.

      For the ancients they were not what they "really wish to be true." They
      were verbal expressions using imagination on what might have occurred
      when they lacked any direct evidence, "reasoning" from what they saw as
      real, and human beings and their "attributes", basically sensory
      experience. Contrary to their being "messy", etc., the myths provided
      stability to their thinking, brought order out of a chaotic environment.
      They brought a feeling of security from their insecurity. So Beal has
      it just the opposite of what is the truth.

      Modern people believe these myths because they are in the Bible which
      they have been trained to believe as literal truth about the past. Does
      this include innumerable much more myths from around the same times,
      like Ugaritic, Mesopotamian, and Egyptian? No, because they are not in
      the Bible. So for moderns, they are not so messy or unstable, rather in
      a way they provide a sense of stability in the modern believer's mind,
      as "ways" their God acted in the past, creating our world. We
      unbelievers call it illusion, but so much of our lives and thinking are
      illusion, e.g. the "self" that is "I", and so-called free will.
      Illusion is part of our lives and with evolutionary value.

      Everything we believe is based on faith. It's just a matter of degree
      from what can be supported by evidence and reason, or "blind faith" for
      some that provides a feeling of order out of chaos.

      The Bible also gives believers a strong sense of spirituality, values,
      and moral behavior with others, as well as "love" for others (ignoring
      the opposites in the Bible). Spiritual stability enhances real sense of
      stability. So there are various Bibles, with some rather insignificance
      differences. So what? What else is new? God's word still is in the
      Bible even though humans didn't do a good job of preserving it: so goes
      the believer's mind. They see reality is the unfolding of "God's plan"
      for the universe and for us, and as it unfolded in the past more
      imperfectly, it shows progress while we are getting more "God-like".

      While the official canon was formed by Anthanasius (his letter to the
      bishoprics at the instruction of Constantine, in the fourth century),
      but it is essentially what had existed as the most revered writings
      since the beginning of the 2nd century, some, like Paul's, earlier. They
      actually were canonical but just not "officially" as required for the
      new religion of the Empire.

      Archaeological studies refer to artifacts which show how some people
      thought and some history that is real: not much though. And not to an
      Adam.

      Beal completely misses the point, as well as being inaccurate. We all
      believe in myths of some sort or other, but we progress with science.
      We all need beliefs to give us a sense of security and stability,
      whether or not they were true (like the myth of Diana to replace the
      trauma some felt at her death, and the Elvis myth). Let the believers
      have their myths, so long as no harm is done to others. Unfortunately a
      great amount of harm has been done, in both Christianity and Islam. We
      can and must strive to stop that, but the harm is not from the myths,
      but rather in the religious mind of radicals. Let them have their
      myths. Beal is just a killjoy.

      Richard G.