The Lucifer Principle

  • eh60driver
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2011
      I just finished reading:

      The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History by Howard K. Bloom

      Sure, you may think the guy is cynical. But this book makes you think. It speaks of the human "superorganism", and how societies mesh together to do things, good and bad, we would not do as individuals. I highly recommend this book. No, I don't take it as gospel, but it makes you go, "Hmmmmmmm".

      Rodg
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2011
        Rodg, I have also read the book and considered it one of the most important books I have come across. I can suggest that you follow it up with Robert Wright's Nonzero

        --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "eh60driver" <eh60driver@...> wrote:

        > I just finished reading:
        >
        > The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History by Howard K. Bloom
        >
        > Sure, you may think the guy is cynical. But this book makes you think. It speaks of the human "superorganism", and how societies mesh together to do things, good and bad, we would not do as individuals. I highly recommend this book. No, I don't take it as gospel, but it makes you go, "Hmmmmmmm".
        >
        > Rodg

      • eh60driver
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 22, 2011
          Jack,
          I also read "Non-Zero". I enjoyed it greatly. Have you read Wright's "The Evolution of God"?

          Rodg

          --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <gladflyweather@...> wrote:

          > Rodg, I have also read the book and considered it one of the most important books I have come across. I can suggest that you follow it up with Robert Wright's Nonzero
          >
          > --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "eh60driver" <eh60driver@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just finished reading:
          > >
          > > The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History by Howard K. Bloom
          > >
          > > Sure, you may think the guy is cynical. But this book makes you think. It speaks of the human "superorganism", and how societies mesh together to do things, good and bad, we would not do as individuals. I highly recommend this book. No, I don't take it as gospel, but it makes you go, "Hmmmmmmm".
          > >
          > > Rodg

        • praesto12
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
            I like the book, but it just seems like a slightly more edging form of
            Heglianism with some biological determinism through in there.