Re: [Death To Religion] how I lost my religion

  • kaylee coats
    Message 1 of 90 , Sep 25, 2010
      Wow, you must have been a smart kid.
      I got shuffled around a lot when I was a kid too. I stayed with both of my
      parents until I was 11. My mom is psychotic, and my dad is a crack head, so they
      had some odd ideas about things to say the least.

      My mother had severe hallucinations and delusions and by the time I was six, so
      did I. I used to talk to people who I was convinced were real, but obviously
      weren't. She came to the conclusion that I spoke to the dead and demons, and
      though she wasn't very religious, thought she'd get me into church. She didn't
      take me very long because when she explained the situation to the church, they
      decided it was because of demons and that we were all possessed.

      She stopped taking me and my brother out of church, and started beating me
      because she was convinced that the possession business was my fault.

      Even as a psychotic little girl, I knew that what she said came more from
      something wrong with her than something wrong with me (and that was probably
      because I'd done the reading I had). My dad paid no attention because he was on
      drugs all the time.

      My parents got divorced and I bounced between them for almost a year until my
      dad left me with my best friend. He just brought be there one day when I was 12
      and refused to pick me up. I stayed there for a little while and learned what
      it's like to be in a normal, house. They were extremely open-minded, and I spent
      a lot of time talking to them about different beliefs and ideas. I went to stay
      with my grandmother for awhile after that, and she's the one who taught me about
      Wicca, witchcraft, and Voodou. She goes through phases of believing something
      for a time, and changes her mind and gets into something else pretty often, and
      this just so happened to be her phase. She had a ton of literature around her
      house about every kind of religion and philosphy, and I read a lot of it.

      Then, when I was in 10th grade, an extremely heavy, thick, garage door was
      dropped on my head (by the man I later married, lol), and I got a major
      concussion. I also moved back into my mother's house for awhile, and she started
      abusing me even more severely than when I was a little kid, and I started
      smoking a lot of pot and drinking a lot.

      By the time I was 17, I had my first and hopefully last major psychotic break
      and started having visions of hell, angles and demons that were convincing
      enough to cause me to believe I was living simulatinously in hell and on earth
      at the same time. It scared the crap out of me.

      My boyfriend (husband now) joined a Pentecostal church at the nudging of one of
      our friends and got me to go with them. I felt safe there where they were
      praying for me and no one was going to hurt me. I really felt like god was there
      watching me, and I saw angles.

      I thought I was cured, and for 2 years I had very few symptoms which I
      attributed to supernatural occurences.
      I realized I wasn't cured when I started seeing things that were not something
      that I could attribute to ghosts or demons (UFOs, aliens, two headed animals and
      other things).

      I also got a job where I work now, in a homeless shelter, where most of the
      people are not Christians, but are the kindest people I've ever met. I could not
      believe in a god who would send people like that to hell, so I came upon a major
      issue in my faith. I also was introduced to the problem of evil, which broke it
      for me. Now, I'm much better. I got help for my mental illness, and I know how
      to get the hallucinations under control, and exactly what they are when they

      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 5, 2010
        praesto12 wrote:
        > I don't despise anyone in this group.I don't think I've presented that, and if
        > I have it's not true.

        > I think you need to believe that I am a facist and that I am "narrow-minded."
        > You need to believe that I am not open to talking to homosexuals,atheist,
        > muslims extc. You have to believe something like that because it makes it easier
        > for you to reject the Christian message you don't want to hear.

        "I belong to and believe whole-heartedly in one of the most hate-filled,
        violent religions ever... yet I'm not like that."

        Almost like saying "I'm a Nazi and burn Jews but I don't believe in the
        what it says nor do I hate Jews."

        Ok, that is a bit of an extreme comparison but you get the point
        (probably not). You can pick and choose what you want out of your
        religion but it is full of hatred, chauvinism, violence, genocide,
        intolerance, racism, slavery, infanticide, and so forth. I do reject
        it's message and I'd rather not hear it for those very obvious reasons.
        Anyone with half a brain would do so as well.

        > The scope of email is limited, so "arguing" is limited. But let me say that
        > I owe nothing to any of you in the context of presenting or not presenting a
        > fact or argument for anything. I am not on your clock buddy. I owe you nothing.
        > Likewise you do not have to present an argument to me for why you reject Jesus.
        > That's between you and him.

        What jesus? Can I talk him? Where is he? I got something I'd like to say
        to him.

        Oh right. No one has ever seen him nor is there any evidence he ever
        existed. This could be harder than I thought.

        > I do not preach.

        > I did not give up on the DH discussion. I'm interested in
        > learning more on the subject. And, I'm not sure why you are saying that I am
        > against rational discussion.

        I'm not sure what DH stands for but most of this is nonsense. And I'm
        not sure what you define as rational, but I haven't seen much of it.

        > You claim that I "despise" everyone. You call
        > me "narrow-minded." You are very much as ad homenium as you say that I am. I do
        > admit that I dislike "educators" that spend their lives trying to pull
        > people away from God. I also feel sorry for them as well.

        Aw. Poor, other-Richard. I'm getting a mixed message here in that you
        want us to feel sorry for you but you're the bigger man feeling sorry
        for others. Either way, this is just more rambling nonsense.