British Judge: Christian Beliefs Have No Legal Standing

  • Clint
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2010
      I first saw this on TV (some Canadian channel I pick up in Michigan).
      What gets me most is that there are people that equate secular as
      anti-religious rather than simply not pertaining to religion. Some guy
      was worried Britain was becoming secular rather than neutral? What's the
      difference? Then again, he is an archbishop and in his little bubble of
      a world, religion is law, so I can see how he would interpret it as
      anti-religious.

      British Judge: Christian Beliefs Have No Legal Standing

      By Al Webb
      Religion News Service

      LONDON (RNS) A top British judge has ruled that Christian beliefs have
      no standing under secular law because they lack evidence and cannot be
      proven.

      Lord Justice John Grant McKenzie Laws made the declaration on Thursday
      (April 29) in throwing out a defamation suit by Christian relationship
      counselor who refused to offer sex therapy to gay couples.

      Gary McFarlane protested that he was fired because offering sex therapy
      to same-gender couples violates his Christian principles.

      But Laws said "religious faith is necessarily subjective, being
      incommunicable by any kind of proof or evidence." He added that to use
      the law to protect "a position held purely on religious grounds cannot
      therefore be justified."

      No religious belief, said the judge, can be protected under the law
      "however long its tradition, however rich its culture."

      Laws also dismissed as "misplaced" and "mistaken" former archbishop of
      Canterbury George Carey's warning that a wave of discrimination against
      Christians threatens "civil war" in Britain.

      Carey described the High Court ruling as "deeply worrying," heralding "a
      'secular state' rather than a 'neutral' one."

      Former Anglican bishop of Rochester Michael Nazir-Ali wrote in The Daily
      Telegraph newspaper in London that Laws' ruling had "driven a coach and
      horses" through the ages-old ties between Christianity and British law.

      But Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society in
      Britain, applauded the judgment as a defeat for "fundamentalism," adding
      that "the law must be clear, that anti-discrimination laws exist to
      protect people, not beliefs."