2009

  • eh60driver
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
      The year 2009 will go down as a banner year in my life. It was in 2009 that I finally came to the realization that for 60 years I was fed and swallowed (for the most part) mass quantities of BS. Religion, patriotism, philosophy, etc, etc,...all BS. Almost EVERYTHING is mostly BS. So, for the rest of my short life (hopefully at least 30 more years) I will have to deal with this fact and be happy in spite of it.

      Rodg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
        So now with all the skepticism, you have hit bottom, and you have to work
        your way back up to something. Otherwise you will die a disappointed old
        man with an empty brain. What is it about philosophy that you deem BS?

        > The year 2009 will go down as a banner year in my life. It was in 2009
        > that I finally came to the realization that for 60 years I was fed and
        > swallowed (for the most part) mass quantities of BS. Religion,
        > patriotism, philosophy, etc, etc,...all BS. Almost EVERYTHING is mostly
        > BS. So, for the rest of my short life (hopefully at least 30 more years)
        > I will have to deal with this fact and be happy in spite of it.
        >
        > Rodg

      • Judy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
          Congrats Rodg, welcome to the club. And wishing you at least 30 more years!
          Judy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
            --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Godwin" <meta@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > So now with all the skepticism, you have hit bottom, and you have
            > to work your way back up to something. Otherwise you will die a
            > disappointed old man with an empty brain. What is it about
            > philosophy that you deem BS?

            When you consider that much of philosophy was very smart people being completely wrong it not hard to figure out why it is full of BS.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
              Not really. Philosophy like everything else has evolved, and of course
              there are very many conflicting ideas and theories in this field, but if you
              follow the major trend these days, philosophy follows science, its verified
              theories, and scientific methodology. Like every other venture, you have to
              sift out the BS from the verifiable part of it, along with its primary
              philosophers of this age. What philosophy has going for it that religion
              doesn't the philosophical method, which is based on the best use of reason
              with relevant and important evidence. The key method is critical thinking,
              and I think the additional key of pragmatism, following what works well for
              a purpose. It is important that nothing be considered certain, that there
              are probabilities of varying degrees, and everything must be questioned.
              Verified theories are tentative and contingent, moving on to future
              evolution of ideas.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
                First off, I didn't hit "rock bottom". This "realization" I speak of did not throw me into the "depths of despair". I began to realize these things on or shortly after 9/11/2001. It is just that this year, I made the final leap in my own mind. Second, how could I possibly be a "disappointed old man"? I have accomplished some wonderful things in my life and have been all over the world and have some very good friends. I have been married to the same woman for 39 years and am still in love with her and have two wonderful sons and three beautiful grandchildren. Are there things I would do differently if I could? Of course! Third, "Philosophy" may have been the wrong word to use. What I might have said was the general outlook of most people I come into contact with. People tend to be left or right, black or white (not in the racial sense), this or that, and the A-holes seem to get their way. I did not mean to disparage any particular philosopher, I'm sure they have their purpose.