[Death To Religion] Re: Dear Hannah

  • kschwiebert@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 104 , Feb 5, 2009
      I am using reason and evidence to make my arguments, not dogma and
      a priori judgements. Your opinions regarding Hinduism are shockingly
      superficial, and direspectful.

      --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, a a <Praesto12@...> wrote:

      > Are you suggesting then that Jews do not suffer from the same
      > delusion, or that only some, less studious Jews are prone to it?
      How
      > do you explain the many passages in The Torah where God is
      described
      > as having human characteristics, such as emotion? Would Rabbinical
      > scholars say that this is all allegory? I have only read a small
      > portion of the Midrash and Mishnah, but I would not be surprised to
      > find such instructions.
      > Judaism and Hinduism have a lot in common, I think. Both benefit
      > from being very, very old and so there are thousands of
      commentaries
      > from their many scholars, and both have had time to develop and
      > sharpen their arguments. There is nothing you can say about
      Hinduism
      > which is not true, for at least one branch of it.
      >
      > I think that would matter on wether or not you believe in Truth to
      begin with. Hinduism is "wrong" and it is false, but I do agree that
      many many people have devoted much time to it and I agree that it is
      hard to nail down a point of belief to a Hindu. I mean everything is
      just an "illusion" anyhow, right?

      >  Polytheism,
      > monotheism, and atheism can all be found within it.
      >
      > Yes. Though many Hindu's and Hinduism itself rejects the idea of
      one path to God, so in a certian sense they exclude the exclusivist.
      All religions exclude other religions on some level.

      > My problem with Judaism is two-fold. One, it is based on a
      > bloodline and is not welcoming to non-Semitic people. True, you can
      > convert to it, but those who do are still not fully accepted.
      >
      > Yes, I agree. In fact it's amazing that you have the blood line of
      Shem,Abraham,Issac,David to Jesus. It is all one biological line, but
      this is also the point of Jesus and in fact the idea that
      God "adopts" people of all creeds is through out the entire bible.
      The Bible is not about the Jews having the only way to God, nor has
      it ever been.

      > Two, it
      > has been conflated with politics, using unproven Biblical
      narratives
      > to lay claim to lands which do not legally belong to them. Not all
      > Jews are Zionists, but this global flashpoint may consume all of us
      > before it is resolved and frankly, I am a little tired of seeing my
      > tax dollars going to blow small children to bits and keep
      > Palestinians in what amounts to concentration camps.
      >

      > This is obviously a very emotional issue. You would be able to
      reasonably discuss?

      Unicorn, "If

      Message 104 of 104 , Feb 22, 2009
        Nope. I have no agenda. What agenda do you think I have. And apparently
        you have no sufficient answers to my refuting your arguments and the
        arguments I have given, about everything we have talked about. Why do you
        suppose? YOUR agenda?