  • Jack Musser
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2009
      Kirk,  As much as I enjoy the irreverent humor of Mencken,  he is no historian or no great model of morality.

      The question we face is not whether there is a better option, unless you want to become a prophet, but are we better off working to change the religion we have or are we better off with a full scale, belligerant attack on it.   I have no doubt that Jefferson may be right about a growing intellectual class, but the mass of our society are people who are little interested in working out the meaning of life.   They want to put food on the table, bring up their kids with a decent morality, have healthy social relationshiips, and still have lots of time for games and soap operas.