[Death To Religion] Re: New Group wanting members about evolution:

  • n1n31nchn3rd
    Message 1 of 68 , Jun 27, 2008
      Richard Godwin wrote:
      > Usually belief there is no god:

      Disbelief? The rejection of someone else's belief? Hence, the lack of

      > Lack of a belief definitely implies there
      > was consideration of the hypothesis, thus a choice to "not believe,"
      > this is a positive belief to reject the idea of a god.

      So definitely a negative can be a positive. Interesting.

      I believe no believe.

      Somehow, that doesn't sound right.

      1 a: marked by denial, prohibition, or refusal; also : marked by
      absence, withholding, or removal of something positive (1): denying a
      predicate of a subject or a part of a subject (2): denoting the
      absence or the contradictory of something (3): expressing negation c:
      adverse, unfavorable
      2 a: lacking positive qualities; especially : disagreeable b: marked
      by features of hostility, withdrawal, or pessimism that hinder or
      oppose constructive treatment or development <negative criticism> c:
      promoting a person or cause by criticizing or attacking the competition
      3 a (1): less than zero and opposite in sign to a positive number that
      when added to the given number yields zero (2): having more outgo than
      income : constituting a loss b: extending or generated in a direction
      opposite to an arbitrarily chosen regular direction or position

      > Further evidence to support my remark above, as you indicate
      > reflection on a hypothesis.

      Considerable reflection?

      1. Someone proposes a god.

      2. It doesn't coincide with what you already know of science.

      3. I guess I better sit here and entertain the notion instead of
      rejecting it.

      By the way you describe everything, you'd think to put reflection into
      something, there would have to be at least some thought that it could
      even be remotely true. That it would require some positive thoughts at

      The only thought being entertained in my mind is not over the
      existence a magical sky fairy but if this person has ever been

      > But whatever.

      Yes... whatever. It's all semantics, right? You can be with belief,
      you can be without belief? What's the difference, eh?

      When you put thoughts and actions on words and say they can be the
      opposite of what they really are... I don't know. I seems so
      philosophical rather than actual.
      Message 68 of 68 , Jul 7, 2008
        May I suggest you put down the joint, wait a while, and then write.