Re: [Death To Religion] Re: Purpose of religion

    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 24, 2008
      This is badly mixed up. There is or should be no questioning of the
      existence of the experiences as such. The problems come in with
      interpretations of the experiences. All experiences, emotional or whatever,
      are real experiences of real people, but there is no experience absent
      interpretation. Thus there are only experiences-interpreted. But from that
      initial interpretation, in many cases quite fallacious, cognition proceeds
      as the brain further processes them through stored ideas in memory, mental
      paradigms that influence or control thinking, the sense of logic, and all
      other ramifications of the experiences-interpreted, in order to give them
      "sense," or meaning. The cognitive results are formulated into theories,
      and therein lies the second rub, adding to the initial rub of immediate
      interpretation.

      Below please:

      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 29, 2008
        --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Miriam
        <baruch_emmet@...> wrote:

        > bestonnet wrote: You'll see that they are majority Christian
        (although most of the Christians are probably pretty secular) with the
        > non-religious massively outnumbering the Muslims, Hindus, Buddhist,
        > Jews, etc combined by quite a decent margin.
        >
        > -----
        >
        > "no religion" or "no religious affliation" does not automatically
        > = athiest.

        I never said it did (though in general about half of those who claim
        to be non-religious are in fact atheists and the other half have some
        vague belief in a higher power).

        > It means they aren't affiliated with a religion, not that they
        > have no belief in G-d. I know many people who do believe in G-d, but
        > do not consider themselves part of a religion.

        Such people do exist in great number and are pretty much harmless.
        Whether their kids will also believe in a god is another matter.

        > Your census information does not list "athiest" or "agnostic,"
        > only that they do not identify or affiliate with a particular faith.

        Very few people will actually answer atheist or agnostic when given an
        open ended question about their religion (if I were just asked what
        religion I was I'd just say that I don't have one (atheism isn't a
        religion anyway)) so statistics which do mention them separately
        probably are undercounting.

        To get an accurate answer you'd need to add another question asking
        people whether they believe in a god or higher power (I suspect the
        results from that would be rather laughable when we find out how many
        Christian atheists are out there).

        > That accounts for 1/4 of the population for each country (about).
        > What percent of that 1/4 actually would self-identify as athiest or
        > agnostic?

        Very few if you ask them an open ended question about religion (or a
        multiple choice question that includes a no religion answer and a box
        for writing in what isn't on the list), if you include atheism as an
        option on a survey you'll get a higher number, directly ask if they
        believe in a god or higher power and you'll find that about half of
        them will say no.

        > I quote from the UK information regarding "no religion," they
        > included those who DID include a religion not officially recognized
        > by the government...

        How many religions aren't recognised by the UK government? Probably
        pretty much no real religions that anyone in the UK follows.

        That probably only applies to parody religions.

        > "About sixteen per cent of the UK population stated that they had no
        > religion. This category included agnostics, atheists, heathens and
        > those who wrote Jedi Knight."
        >
        > "heathens and those who wrote Jedi Knight" ... hmmm.....

        Yes, there was a big e-mail campaign in the UK, Australia and New
        Zealand to write Jedi Knight on the census under the claim that it
        would cause the government to recognise Jedi as a religion if enough
        people put it down. Most of the people who did that probably were
        non-religious and just having a joke at government expense.

        See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

        > bestonnet wrote: I wasn't even trying to show causality (though I
        > did mention what I thought the causality was), merely that a
        > religious society is not necessarily healthier than a non-religious
        > one.
        >
        > -----
        >
        > Are you determining this by religion (adherence to a social code
        > driven by a group consensus of how to relate to G-d), or by faith
        > (actual direct interaction with the Divine, not just lip-service for
        > social belonging)?

        How am I meant to know who is a True Scotsman?

        > bestonnet wrote: There are a lot of religious scientists but if
        > you look at the elites of the scientific community there are very
        > few who aren't atheists.
        >
        > -----
        >
        > Amazing... most of what I've seen is the other way around.

        Well it depends on who you consider to be the elites, NAS members are
        a pretty good sample of elite scientists and they do tend to be atheistic.

        http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/news/file002.html

        Even among the less elite scientists belief in a god is less
        widespread than the general population.