global warming

  • Dr. Newton Joseph
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2007
      You may but the evidence for the existence of a god is conspicuous by
      its absence (true, it doesn't prove anything but given that people
      have been trying to find a god for thousands of years you'd think
      they'd have found something by now).

      When you find god, please tell him to stop global warming
      www.atheistfellowship.com

      drnjoseph@...

    • a a
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2007
        I would say the overall human experience speaks to
        mankind finding God and many other Gods and many
        entities in between. Materialism, the faith to which
        you adhere, is pretty recent in the scope of mankind's
        history.
        I think the evidence and arguments are well presented
        on both sides. Ultimately I think God wishes to draw
        something more out of us than just analysis.

        --- "Dr. Newton Joseph" <drnjoseph@...>
        wrote:

        > You may but the evidence for the existence of a god
        > is conspicuous by
        > its absence (true, it doesn't prove anything but
        > given that people
        > have been trying to find a god for thousands of
        > years you'd think
        > they'd have found something by now).
        >

        > When you find god, please tell him to stop global
        > warming
        > www.atheistfellowship.com
        >
        > drnjoseph@...

        > removed]

        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      • richard
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2007
          I would appear without question that the very first "worldview" of people
          in, say, the Bronze Age from its beginning was that of materialism. It
          appears religion, or religious sensibilities of some supernatural agency
          (meaning only extra-natural, now is particular theories), began at the very
          earliest with civilization or, as some say, with the writing. There is some
          evidence of earlier attribution of something similar, but within nature, not
          outside nature (such as cave drawings as long ago as perhaps 40,000 years).
          At any rate, religion is a late comer. Religious concepts and theories date
          back to only the Late Bronze Age. There is no question about it,
          materialist ideas have been endemic in homo sapiens sapiens since the brain
          developed to the point of abstraction, quite naturally from pragmatic
          observation, usefulness, and for the capacity of prediction.

          What do you consider to be evidence and arguments for religious ideas?

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2007
            --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, a a <Praesto12@...> wrote:

            > I would say the overall human experience speaks to
            > mankind finding God and many other Gods and many
            > entities in between.

            There sure are a lot of "one true gods" don't you think?

            Humans do have an amazing capacity for finding things that aren't
            there, like Pyramids on Mars or Gods in the sky.

            > Materialism, the faith to which you adhere, is pretty
            > recent in the scope of mankind's history.

            Materialism may be recent but it's been pretty damn successful.

            > I think the evidence and arguments are well presented
            > on both sides.

            The theists do pretty well given their lack of evidence and
            pre-refuted arguments.