free will

  • iamthewayandthetruth111
    Message 1 of 59 , Aug 13, 2007
      This topic is strange to me. It never made sense to me at all,
      never, ever, ever. Yet almost everyone seems to believe in it and
      believe it is fairly simple. I've done searches for explanations of
      free will, searched hard and long, and found nothing, empty
      arguments. And I just can't shake it out of my head because I can't
      tell if I'm insane or if there is still a crazy, wacked out theory
      that people are buying without thinking about it. So anyways this is
      a discussion where I will either strive to understand why people
      believe free will (and maybe even notice it is true although I can't
      conceive how yet, it is possible of course) or where others will tell
      me that they also don't believe in free will and that would be
      interesting because I haven't really discussed that with anyone who
      agrees with me (but I have met people who agree with me but they just
      give me the nod). So this is to discuss and possibly debate the
      validity of free will.

      Now I'll just give a bit of background on my views.

      I'm not a determinist...I'm a quantum determinist which to put in
      simple terms means I basically believe that certain events have
      certain probabilities (and I also think the many worlds theory is
      quite logical, unsupported by evidence but logical). To me it seems
      everyone thinks that if determinism dies free will is valid, or at
      least most do. Then they go on to say that quantum physics/mechanics
      makes determinism obsolete, but still I think quantum determinism is
      logical. Anyways so then they say free will is true what is the big
      debate? When I talk about free will, I'm not talking about find the
      most loose definition of free will and flex it a bit and say, see
      free will is true. I'm talking about the free will that we all
      intuitively understand as just complete control, responsibility,
      moral responsibility, that stuff. So just for simplification say I
      have a 50% chance of eating ice cream and a 50% chance of eating a
      donut. I'm still confined to quantum determinism and I don't really
      call this free will I would call this random will personally. Yes
      there are some definitions of free will where randomness may qualify
      but we all know that it isn't REALLY what most of us think of free
      will to be. I have a 50% chance of making choice A or choice B but I
      can't have an effect on what the outcome is...hence why it is
      random.

      Any discussion, criticism, or alternative free will theories
      invited. Am I crazy or is free will crazy? Or maybe that is a false
      dilemna maybe we are both crazy, but now I'm getting off topic and I
      can't use the word "crazy" in logic, crazy has no objective reference
      point that everyone can agree on.
      Message 59 of 59 , Aug 21, 2007
        --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "iamthewayandthetruth111"
        <iamthewayandthetruth111@...> wrote:

        > --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, bestonnet_00 <no_reply@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm mentioning it because humans tend to have large quantum
        > > numbers.
        > >
        > I read the basic idea of it. I always thought the same, I saw some
        > of the mathematics behind it but I didn't understand that because
        > I'm not at a high enough level of mathematics, I'm going into
        > pre-cal (11th grade).

        I'm doing a Masters in physics right now. I knew very little about QM
        back when I was in Year 11 myself (and don't really know that much
        more now, however many lectures later).

        > I've actually always been curious about how much the macroscopic
        > world becomes altered over time because of quantum mechanics.

        Compared to classical theory pretty much not at all.

        > If there were two concealed rooms floating in space with a tennis
        > ball bouncing around inside it at say 100 kmph and the room
        > was 10 m^3 and both rooms started out absolutely identical, ~how
        > long would it take a human eye to detect a difference in the
        > location/velocity of the tennis balls? I don't know, but I've been
        > curious.

        If the rooms are absolutely identical and the balls identical and the
        trajectory of the balls identical then I would expect classical
        mechanics to hold just fine at that scale so it'll be a lot longer
        than your lifetime before you notice any difference.

        Doing a full quantum mechanical treatment is going to be very hard
        though, even if you make a lot of approximations it wouldn't be worth
        it for any practical purpose (although classical mechanics holding
        well in the solar system didn't stop people using GR to calculate the
        trajectory of the Apollo spacecraft).

        > > I'd be more inclined to say \Delta x \Delta p >= \hbar / 2 myself.
        > >
        > No disagreement then I take it. I do know how the uncertainty
        > principle works (it makes a lot of sense also) but I haven't learned
        > the mathematics yet (although I have seen them).

        I'm not sure one can know how it works without understanding the
        mathematics behind it (and how it is related to the commutator).

        > > It seems to be more like rambling.
        > >
        > I can't really say much about that but if you are more specific
        > maybe I could come to an understanding.

        The bits that I can make sense of I've probably replied to already so
        I'm not really sure I can be much more specific about the bits where I
        can't figure out what you're saying.