Re: [Death To Religion] New to Group

  • lord damien
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2007
      Living in New Zealand is quite the opposite. Being an atheist is quite acceptable. Being excessively religious is a bit of a social embarrasement. It seems you people have a long way to go to join the rest of the west

      Marie <mary_lou_bryant@...> wrote:
      Hi from another newbie! I have the great fortune to live in a liberal
      west coast city. Maybe it's because I'm rather introverted and shy,
      but I still have a hard time being openly atheist, even here. I feel
      like it is socially acceptable to be conservative, yet it's still a
      big social taboo to be atheist. Why is that? Is it just me? I'm
      hoping that by sharing in this group I can overcome my fear of being
      open about my beliefs.

    • Elizabeth Martin
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
        Living in the U.S their are places like Los Angeles, San Francisco and parts of the North East where one can be comfortable being an Athiest. Right now under George Bush who is a born again, religion is being pushed upon all of us. The separation of church and state is slowely vanishing. There is a big fight about prayer in schools, christmas and abortion, gays and the like. I live in Florida, have been an atheist for some 20 years, but do not spread it around. My family knows and respects me and agree mostly with my take or religion.

        Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
          --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, lord damien
          <lord_damien2002@...> wrote:

          > Living in New Zealand is quite the opposite. Being an atheist is
          > quite acceptable. Being excessively religious is a bit of a social
          > embarrasement. It seems you people have a long way to go to join the
          > rest of the west

          It's very similar in Australia though probably not to the degree of
          New Zealand.

          Although it seems that the only way a religious party can get elected
          here is to lie and claim not to be a religious party which is better
          than the US.

          Being conservative is socially acceptable pretty much everywhere but
          university (although conservatives outside the US tend not to be as
          backward (i.e. they actually tend to be conservatives which most US
          'conservatives' aren't)).