Re: GROWING UP EMOTIONALLY

  • msmartin226
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
      --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, dantreble <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Newton Joseph"
      > <drnjoseph@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Appeared in Free Mind May/June 1994
      > >

      > > GROWING UP EMOTIONALLY
      > >
      > > Newton Joseph,Ph.D.

      > > "Most children, when they reach a certain age, come to the
      > realization that the myths they learned from their parents are just
      > that, myths."
      >
      > Agreed.
      >
      > "Their intrinsic awareness of reality based on earlier experiences
      > makes them aware that Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter
      > Bunny who laid eggs are make-believe. Moreover, they are given
      > permission and support by their parents in the narrow sense and by
      > society as parents in a broader sense, to relinquish these childish
      > myths when they reach a certain stage of development."
      >
      > Agreed.
      > >
      > > "As an objective observer, it is interesting and at the same time
      > sad that the majority of adults do not have permission from their
      > parents or society in general to relinquish other childish myths-
      such
      > as god, sons of gods, angels, devils, hell, heaven, ghosts (holy or
      > otherwise)."
      >
      > What is interesting is there being a need for permission. That is
      > childish. Myths are not.
      >
      > A lack of experience, education, or curiosity can deter
      intellectual
      > growth. So would a need for permission to believe a certain way.
      >
      > Dan

      Hi Dan,

      As I see it children are brought up to believe what their parents
      beleive. So, If the parents are Christian or whatever, the children
      will be indoctranated with the religious dogma. Until they really
      start thinking for them selves and stop being afraid to not beleive
      they will continue on being a part of said religion. Most peoples
      blind faith get in the way of rational thought as to whether religion
      has any real value. Other than making one feel good and not being put
      upon by the intolerant.
    • dantreble
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
        --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "msmartin226" <msmartin226@...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Dan,
        > As I see it children are brought up to believe what their parents
        > beleive. So, If the parents are Christian or whatever, the children
        > will be indoctranated with the religious dogma. Until they really
        > start thinking for them selves and stop being afraid to not beleive
        > they will continue on being a part of said religion. Most peoples
        > blind faith get in the way of rational thought as to whether religion
        > has any real value. Other than making one feel good and not being put
        > upon by the intolerant.

        Hi msmartin. I agree with that view. But I consider stacking
        the deck against a child's ability to relinquish beliefs that
        he or she no longer agrees with to be bad parenting, not the
        fault of Christianity (or other religions).

        Religious indoctrination is a function of the church. Empowering
        a child to think for themselves is a parental responsibility, IMO.
        Not every Christian parent raises a child unable to think for
        themselves.
      • truthisbrainfood
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
          --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, dantreble <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "msmartin226" <msmartin226@>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi Dan,
          > > As I see it children are brought up to believe what their parents
          > > beleive. So, If the parents are Christian or whatever, the children
          > > will be indoctranated with the religious dogma. Until they really
          > > start thinking for them selves and stop being afraid to not beleive
          > > they will continue on being a part of said religion. Most peoples
          > > blind faith get in the way of rational thought as to whether religion
          > > has any real value. Other than making one feel good and not being put
          > > upon by the intolerant.
          > >

          > Hi msmartin. I agree with that view. But I consider stacking
          > the deck against a child's ability to relinquish beliefs that
          > he or she no longer agrees with to be bad parenting, not the
          > fault of Christianity (or other religions).
          >
          > Religious indoctrination is a function of the church. Empowering
          > a child to think for themselves is a parental responsibility, IMO.
          > Not every Christian parent raises a child unable to think for
          > themselves.

          To msmartin, I have heard religious people refer to a saying: "Give me
          a child for their first five years and I will have them for life". I
          would say it's pretty true considering about 15% of people are
          non-believers. Sure parents are mostly responsible for what a child
          believes, but if they stress religious views and those views are
          backed up by church views such as the dreaded threat of "If you don't
          believe in jesus, you will spend eternity in hell", it takes
          exceptional people, like us, to see through it and challenge the myths.

          Pure science is about finding truth. Brainwashed people avoid science
          and the truth, out of fear. Fear is the great motivator to keep ones
          eyes closed even though the truth is right in front of their nose.
        • msmartin226
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
            wrote:

            > --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "msmartin226"
            <msmartin226@>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi Dan,
            > > As I see it children are brought up to believe what their parents
            > > beleive. So, If the parents are Christian or whatever, the
            children
            > > will be indoctranated with the religious dogma. Until they really
            > > start thinking for them selves and stop being afraid to not
            beleive
            > > they will continue on being a part of said religion. Most peoples
            > > blind faith get in the way of rational thought as to whether
            religion
            > > has any real value. Other than making one feel good and not being
            put
            > > upon by the intolerant.
            > >

            > Hi msmartin. I agree with that view. But I consider stacking
            > the deck against a child's ability to relinquish beliefs that
            > he or she no longer agrees with to be bad parenting, not the
            > fault of Christianity (or other religions).
            >
            > Religious indoctrination is a function of the church. Empowering
            > a child to think for themselves is a parental responsibility, IMO.
            > Not every Christian parent raises a child unable to think for
            > themselves.

            Hi Dan,

            I think that one may stand a chanch to decide for ones self what they
            were taught to believe if their parents taught them to think for
            themselves in the first place. A few years ago I happened to meet a
            man who had finally escaped from a born again releigon. All his life
            he was so controlled by the faith his parents were a part of. He had
            never really dated anyone and after coming out he did not know how to
            act in the real world. This was an extream problem for him. I was
            amazed by all of this. Religions and depending on which can present a
            real problem when trying to get out. Like Cults some are very
            distructive and some are not. To me religion is all about control.

            Elizabeth
          • dantreble
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2007
              <msmartin226@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dan,
              >
              > I think that one may stand a chanch to decide for ones
              self what they were taught to believe if their parents taught
              them to think for themselves in the first place. A few years
              ago I happened to meet a man who had finally escaped from a
              born again releigon. All his life he was so controlled by the
              faith his parents were a part of. He had never really dated
              anyone and after coming out he did not know how to act in the
              real world. This was an extream problem for him. I was amazed
              by all of this. Religions and depending on which can present
              a real problem when trying to get out. Like Cults some are very
              distructive and some are not. To me religion is all about
              control.

              > Elizabeth

              Hi Elizabeth,

              Thinking for oneself is natural, IMO. One needs to be taught
              how to properly deal with religious claims. When a parent
              confuses fact with opinion when answering a child's questions
              about religion, the child is cheated out of the chance to
              think about the issue. A child will think, but not usually
              about what is roped off from thinking.

              Parents tend to indoctrinate while omiting thought-inspiring
              phrases like "I believe..." Some parents don't know any better.
              Others do, but are deliberately ensuring that the child is not
              going to get too many (or any) ideas about questioning the
              information.

              I suspect that the man you spoke of was in the latter camp
              growing up. Aside from the many pressures he had to deal
              with, his ability to think for himself was likely
              compromised from the beginning.

              Dan