Re: [Death To Religion] Re: greatings

  • richard godwin
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 25, 2006
      Very good, IMO.

      From: "Lovejoe" <konusan1@...>
      To: <deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 9:29 AM
      Subject: [Death To Religion] Re: greatings

> [...]
      > Meaning, rendered themselves unsucsesfull to understand
      > even underlying fundamental principles.
      > Because the amount of complex and imaginary information
      > left by 2nd generation is too big to grasp,
      > you never find time and energy to understand
      > the first generation's simpler and factual fundementals.
      >
      > New scientists, feeling hopeless, carrying heavy load,
      > under pressure of new economical systems, they actually
      > transformed simple physical questions to
      > the searching of the meaning of life and of course
      > they can't find an answer... Their mind is really mixed up.
      > Like the one who falls into ocean asks help from the sharks,
      > they turned to God, because they can't understand a
      > damn thing, even they can perfectly calculate !
      >
      > Hiting the wall is a good example, because some of 3rd generations
      > do not stop by hitting the wall once,
      > they want to hit again and again... Like religious people
      > hits themselves to cry-walls or whatever.
      > For example; if one understand and agrees with
      > the theory of General Relativity, should not run after
      > an imaginary particle called "graviton".
      > Could imagine it, could use it in a mathematical model
      > or whatever, but should not get crazy to find it !
      > If one spend his/her life searching for a "real" graviton
      > means three things:
      > 1- GR is wrong.
      > 2- He/she understood GR but does not agree.
      > 3- He/she agree with GR but does not understand.
      >
      > 1st and 2nd options are same thing, if GR is wrong
      > or he/she does not agree, before searching the graviton,
      > he/she must provide a better and correct explanation,
      > a new theory !!!!! Then can search for the graviton
      > to prove the new theory. They do not provide a new
      > theory, they agree with GR, but they still look for
      > graviton, leaves only one option: They don't understand GR!
      > Although they calculate everything but everything like a magician.
      >
      > This is a generic problem in science with the 3rd generation.
      > This problem is abundant in Quantum physics, not only GR.
      > They simply do not understand fundemental idea of theories.
      > They know formulas and calculations like a hell.
      > But doesn't know what formulas or calculations really means!
      > Either they think theories represent the reality
      > or they think reality is result of calculations.
      >
      > Apperently you think you are a damn good scientist,
      > but your fate is already drawn! 3rd generation is hopeless.
      > Believe in God or not, there is no solution.
      > About 20 or more years, you'll strugle with equations
      > without understanding the real meaning behind.
      > It is 4th may be 5th generations in end of 21st century
      > who will make "some" acheivements, real acheivements...
      > With the help of self destruction or weakness
      > of religions as the war between them intensifying in these years.
      >
      > Of course I'm not sure, I'm not a fortune teller neither magican!
      > But Asimov says; if you have enough
      > information about the past, you can predict the future...
      > You just need to see the patterns of evolution.

    • a a
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 25, 2006
        Good email Lovejoe, as I don't think it was directed
        specifically at me I don't find much reason to
        respond. I would however say that it is difficult to
        say what one truly believes in one's heart and mind
        about God and at best we are left with their writings
        as to quessing what their thinking may have been on
        the issue-their writings are certainly a strong
        indication of what they proclaimed to believe but we
        should be humble in really talking about what they may
        or may not have thought.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • a a
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 25, 2006
          First, in a none descending matter I'm truly
          interested to know if you've read any of the Gospels
          or of the writings of Paul? What has your exposure to
          these writings been? I'm truly interested.

          Next, let me say that even if the Gospels were just
          "opinion" but they were documents and they were
          historical then they would still be considered
          historical documentations about Christ, therefor it
          would be inadequate to say there is no historical
          documentation of Jesus. What you seem to imply is that
          what we know about Christ as presented to writers of
          the Gospels can't be true, why such a leap?

          Next you seem to go off into the "historical Jesus"
          motif so many liberal academians seem to pursue,
          illogically. Next, let me say that I'm referring to
          Jesus The Christ, and honestly in all fairness you
          Should be refering to him as Jesus The Christ and not
          trying to tear down the manifested message of this
          figure and not trying to, at this point, inadquately
          and some what pompously, telling me what I should or
          should not refer to a specific person as. Jesus
          Christ, as no other name in all of human history, is
          solicitfied in it's expression and I've found no
          rational, academic reason why you would take such a
          leap of faith and believeing this to be different, I'm
          not insulting and I will discuss this more if you'd
          like. Have respect, that's all I ask.

          historical documentation of Chirst, well, honestly,
          have you considered the alternative? I don't mean this
          as a philosophically entrenched presentation, which I
          can present, but just as a point of reflection.

          What you seem to be saying is that there is no
          historical evidence for Christ, and what there is is
          just "opinions" and by opinions you mean lies. So, you
          are claiming in this type of thought that the most
          impactful,ethical,meaningful and hopeful figure in all
          of human history is simply an illusion created by 4
          jewish fisherman some 2,000 years ago and that all the
          thinking,love,worship,respect and aw with which these
          4 men(who betrayed christ) and all the generations
          since are absolutely wrong in every essential way? I
          don't know if you've noticed but the Jews don't
          convert pretty easily, or let me say it this way God
          has so allowed his chosen people to know a reality
          outside of light that as their history has progressed
          that have developed into the most proud(not a good
          thing) tough, resilent people of all time. Jews are
          many things, but they are defintely Jews. I don't
          logically imagine 4, somewhat literate, Jews created
          this Figure which still changes millions of lives, all
          based on lies and I ask why you make such a leap? One
          of the purposes of being a Christian is to disciple, I
          find it fitting that the one who is Christ so
          manifested his message that his disciples were meant
          to express most indepthly his message.

          You know, I wish we were just chatting so that I
          didn't have to put soo much into each email, for that
          I'm sorry. Please, ask me one specific question that I
          can refer to for the sake of time.

          Next let me say that, as priorly discussed, there is
          sufficent evidence for the historical documentation of
          Christ.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
            The reason there is no historical evidence for the existance of Jesus
            Christ is largely because the Gospels were written long after Jeses
            was said to have died. Too long after for them to have been by
            eyewitnesses (and nothing else by those who lived in that time
            mentioning him exists despite the description of what he did in the
            Gospels being something that people would have noticed and mentioned).

            --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, a a <Praesto12@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > are known to be interpolations by Christians who had
            > > his writings. The
            > > external evidence shows that a man named Jesus was
            > > crucified. The Jewish
            > > community soundly rejected Jesus as the Messiah and
            > > reject the new
            > > Christians. It appears the John community was
            > > kicked out of the synagogue.
            > > The OT has no reference to the man Jesus or the
            > > Christ. The NT writers, for
            > > the purpose of establishing an historical tradition,
            > > used the pesher method
            > > of interpreting the OT to prophesy Christ. If you
            > > wish we can talk about
            > > Isaiah's suffering servant.
            > >
            > > There are a number of definitions of myth. One is:
            > > explanation in story
            > > form what cannot adequately be expressed in any
            > > other way. Hence the genre
            > > myth, story-telling, has always been the most

          • richard godwin
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
              > First, in a none descending matter I'm truly
              > interested to know if you've read any of the Gospels
              > or of the writings of Paul? What has your exposure to
              > these writings been? I'm truly interested.

              Yes, for a number of decades I have studied the whole Bible in depth. I
              attended a Christian theological school for a year. I have taught it in
              classes, church and college.

              > Next, let me say that even if the Gospels were just
              > "opinion" but they were documents and they were
              > historical then they would still be considered
              > historical documentations about Christ, therefor it
              > would be inadequate to say there is no historical
              > documentation of Jesus. What you seem to imply is that
              > what we know about Christ as presented to writers of
              > the Gospels can't be true, why such a leap?

              Again, this is your "either-or" dichtomy, typical of your group. "If it's
              not that, then it must be this." Wrong-headed thinking, habitual, and you
              need to get it out of your mental system. Get in the real world of thinking
              and debate. The Gospels, more than just opinion, it is visionary sincere
              INTERPRETATION of the man Jesus who was crucified, followers trying to
              understand this picture and place him into the long Judean tradition, how to
              do that. They DEVISED the schema. With all good intentions and with strong
              belief, enough for willing martyrdom. But that is NOT historical
              documentation. Perhaps it would be well for you to study what history is,
              the criteria for correct representation of the past. So, again your idea of
              a "leap" is not only wrong but very bad inference.

              > Next you seem to go off into the "historical Jesus"
              > motif so many liberal academians seem to pursue,
              > illogically.

              And how "illogically"? You just leave that dangling?

              Next, let me say that I'm referring to
              > Jesus The Christ, and honestly in all fairness you
              > Should be refering to him as Jesus The Christ and not
              > trying to tear down the manifested message of this
              > figure and not trying to, at this point, inadquately
              > and some what pompously, telling me what I should or
              > should not refer to a specific person as.

              Your linguistical reference seems to imply that one may become convinced by
              just concentrating on the words. You are not debating, you are preaching.
              Based on your argument, I should not be trying to tear down the cultic
              beliefs of fundamentalist Mormons, or Islamic terrorists in their belief in
              Allah.

              Jesus
              > Christ, as no other name in all of human history, is
              > solicitfied in it's expression and I've found no
              > rational, academic reason why you would take such a
              > leap of faith and believeing this to be different, I'm
              > not insulting and I will discuss this more if you'd
              > like. Have respect, that's all I ask.

              Herd psychology, ad populum fallacy. So you see no rational basis for
              suggesting you really support you belief. Then why do you talk about
              debate. Your reaction is that your feelings have been hurt, but all I asked
              for is your giving us some support in real evidence and some reasoning. So
              what is my "leap of faith"? Faith in what?

              > historical documentation of Chirst, well, honestly,
              > have you considered the alternative? I don't mean this
              > as a philosophically entrenched presentation, which I
              > can present, but just as a point of reflection.

              It does not meet acceptable criteria in historical methodology, agreed to by
              all historians. That's no leap of faith. The leap of faith would be that
              of accepting this as history. Of course I have considered the alternative.
              All alternatives must be considered, even that of a fierce war-like Allah,
              which is wrong, but must be considered. I feel no entrenchment at all. But
              I do require reason. And reason is the criterion for any debate.

              > What you seem to be saying is that there is no
              > historical evidence for Christ, and what there is is
              > just "opinions" and by opinions you mean lies.

              There you go again, making things up. Opinions = lies. I supposed you knew
              better than that.

              So, you
              > are claiming in this type of thought that the most
              > impactful,ethical,meaningful and hopeful figure in all
              > of human history is simply an illusion created by 4
              > jewish fisherman some 2,000 years ago and that all the
              > thinking,love,worship,respect and aw with which these
              > 4 men(who betrayed christ) and all the generations
              > since are absolutely wrong in every essential way?

              The number of peoples proves nothing. ALL peoples believe the sun revolves
              around the earth. Why don't you look up the logical fallacies. Did I say
              or indicate "absolutely wrong...."? No. Again all alternatives and
              possibilities must be considered. The rest of what you say is just
              continued bla, bla, bla. Come on, either debate or shut up. But first
              educate yourself on historical methodology.

              Richard.
            • Dr. Newton Joseph
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                    > Yes, for a number of decades I have studied the whole Bible in depth. I
                    attended a Christian theological school for a year. I have taught it in
                    classes, church and college.

                    This proves you are forever lost to rational thought

                    New10
                  • lord damien
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                      I find it amazing that christians believe a complex and standardised series of myths, yet can still stand up and say that they are not brainwashed and have control over their own beliefs (dont they call it freewill or some such garbage)

                    • Dr. Newton Joseph
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                          Well Godwin, I'm interested to know what brought you
                          out of your belief in God. You seem like you were on a
                          positive track then you seemed to have be derailed.
                          What happened?

                          > Yes, for a number of decades I have studied the
                          > whole Bible in depth. I
                          > attended a Christian theological school for a year.
                          > I have taught it in
                          > classes, church and college.

                          What caused your split? You sound like you could be a
                          good apologist. What single handedly caused you to
                          change your mind? I want and will debate with you on
                          every intellectual aspect on this issue, but I
                          seriously doubt your breaking from Christianity has
                          been based on intellectual intent but rather anger or
                          response to some event or someone. I don't know, I'm
                          interested to discuss that as well with you. When is
                          the last time you read scripture?

                          > Again, this is your "either-or" dichtomy, typical of
                          > your group.

                          Well, that's quite a leap, my group? haha, Maybe that
                          is a comment you mean to be refering at some one else.
                          Come on man, you talk about logical fallicies and then
                          you start using ad homenim attacks. I believe that
                          you're better than that. Don't insult just talk about
                          what you believe intelligently.

                          Next If by my group you mean people that believe in
                          the law of non contradiction then I have to say yes,
                          that is generally where I try to align my
                          beliefs-Truth.

                          Are you saying I'm wrong? So let me ask you, in my
                          "either-or" dichtomy, am I wrong and you're right in
                          my decision, and are you not in my group at that
                          point. All I said was that if the gospels were
                          historical(which they are and yes we can define that)
                          and they were documents(which they were and yes we can
                          define that) then they would be historical
                          documents....Would you not agree? You blatantly
                          said that there were no historical documents of jesus.
                          I don't think that's a fair or logical statement, I
                          think you are saying that the historical documents
                          that there were are not valid.

                          But yes in my thinking there is a tendency to believe
                          that if I know something and I can know it to be true
                          then it is true or false. You could look at a hegelian
                          dialect-especially being as he was a philosopher of
                          history or you could lean towards a non-dualistic
                          thinking in line with pantheistic thought, but I doubt
                          you would be trying to apply pantheistic thinking to
                          any historical method.

                          "If it's
                          > not that, then it must be this." Wrong-headed
                          > thinking, habitual, and you
                          > need to get it out of your mental system.

                          So let me ask you, If it's not your own way then it
                          must be wrong? You're contradicting yourself. I don't
                          say that rudely. If it's not in accord with what you
                          think then it must be that I'm absolutely wrong? Your
                          own method doesn't work on what you're saying.
                          Again, if by logic and adhering to the law of non
                          contradiction is what you mean by wrong-headed then
                          I'd say that you are, again, contradicting yourself.
                          If there is a philosophical contradiction in my
                          thinking and I am shown such a way then I will look at
                          the fallacy surrounding it. However at this point
                          you've given me no reason to assume such an event has
                          occured, and in all fairness you've simply insulted me
                          and contradicted yourself. Truthfully don't just
                          insult but look at what you're saying and logically
                          think through the specifics and talk them out and
                          defend what you have to say intellectually.

                          The Gospels, more than just opinion, it
                          > is visionary sincere
                          > INTERPRETATION of the man Jesus who was crucified,
                          > followers trying to
                          > understand this picture and place him into the long
                          > Judean tradition, how to
                          > do that. They DEVISED the schema.

                          Well I haven't really gone into how you sort of
                          avoided the historical support of the Christ, but let
                          me go from this point. I will discuss your idea of
                          Visionary sincere interpreatation when you give the
                          specific definition you wish to define this thinking
                          with and when you express what academian you are
                          alluding to in believing this. We'll go from there.

                          Again, I think that you're not really considering the
                          complexity of what you're saying-as discussed in the
                          prior email. You really think these 4 fishermen and
                          other individuals died,fought for and traveled the
                          world to express "visionary interpretation." They were
                          either crazy or truthful.

                          Either their opinions aligned with reality or they did
                          not, and if they did not then there is an
                          inconsistency with what they expoused as
                          truth-therefore it was a lie. You sound like you're
                          trying to be academic and say that these people that
                          were actually with jesus were liers and crazy. If
                          anything the various aspects of the interpretive
                          element in the gospels would only solictify the fact
                          that there were(and is) several examples of
                          commonality implying a reality which occured-do you
                          see what I'm saying? No matter what linguistic garb
                          you try to address it with you're saying that Paul,
                          all of the Gospel writers and all the other influenced
                          by the figure of Christ at that time and now were
                          crazy. I'm not going for an ad populism effect here,
                          but I do think that there is a higher degree of
                          validity in the reality described by the witnesses of
                          these events then some Atheist 20 centuries later. I
                          have to take the witnesses acounts-as consistent as
                          they are over your claims of something you didn't see,
                          don't know of,and repeatedly attack me about. They
                          devised a schema, what is your intellectual basis of
                          that? I think that the schema was created by you,
                          perhaps because of something personally because I
                          don't see an intellectual basis behind what you're
                          saying. You're just insulting.

                          > > Next you seem to go off into the "historical
                          > Jesus"
                          > > motif so many liberal academians seem to pursue,
                          > > illogically.
                          >
                          > And how "illogically"? You just leave that
                          > dangling?

                          Well you've contradicted yourself, you claim that
                          individual witnesses are lying without saying they are
                          lying, you criticize me for logical inconsistencies
                          but then you regress into ad homenium attacks and no
                          real logic behind what you're saying.
                          At this point, in gaging the material you've put
                          forth-there is adequate validity to saying that you're
                          illogical. I'm waiting for something different.

                          > Your linguistical reference seems to imply that one
                          > may become convinced by
                          > just concentrating on the words.

                          No, not at all. I think that there's no basis for that
                          at all. Politely,but you're simply wrong on that
                          matter. I'm not hair splitting.

                          You are not
                          > debating, you are preaching.

                          No more so then you were trying to slip in your bias.
                          You were trying to split the "historical Jesus" from
                          the real Jesus. I think you're still Christian, to be
                          perfectly honest, but with that aside I countering
                          your flagrant abuse of language. At this point, I
                          don't think or feel that you're debating, honestly.

                          > Based on your argument, I should not be trying to
                          > tear down the cultic
                          > beliefs of fundamentalist Mormons, or Islamic
                          > terrorists in their belief in
                          > Allah.

                          If there were an Argument in my correction of your
                          implict word play then it would be that you are more
                          illogical,ilfounded, and unhistorical in your thinking
                          that the "historical Jesus" is some how Not Jesus The
                          Christ. You haven't adequately supplied any reason why
                          I would assume your image of, what sides like Jesus
                          Seminar thinking, is correct and that 20 centuries of
                          historical thought is absolutely wrong.
                          You've simply created a straw man in your prior
                          statements.

                          > Herd psychology, ad populum fallacy.

                          Again a straw man, and no in saying that the name
                          Jesus Christ is solicitifed in it's expressing is not
                          ad populum. However if you are refering to the comment
                          that I said Christ is like no other name in all of
                          human history then I have to say that this is an
                          objective fact-try it. Bring up the name and compare
                          it to any other name, it is unique in it's expressing
                          and in the reaction it gets from others. Look at your
                          own responses. If there is any hear psychology then i
                          would say that this occurs as much in the Atheist
                          "community" as in any other religion. You've said
                          nothing at this point.

                          So you see no
                          > rational basis for
                          > suggesting you really support you belief.

                          Again, straw man. You've said little-logically- that
                          has giving me cause to present logical historical
                          evidence at this point, which I will. I'm responding
                          to you and all I basically stated was that your
                          hypothesis makes less sense then alternative. You
                          haven't even adequately stated why you believe the
                          contrary to what the actually witnesses recorded. You
                          are steeping on the limb at this point.

                          Then why
                          > do you talk about
                          > debate. Your reaction is that your feelings have
                          > been hurt, but all I asked
                          > for is your giving us some support in real evidence
                          > and some reasoning.

                          No, it wasn't about my feelings. I think that if you
                          were to honestly look at the emails-so far- you will
                          see me say avoid emotionalism,ad homenium, and straw
                          man tactics more than yourself. I think also, that
                          you've shown more emotion and less logic. I think also
                          that you done little in listening or in asking for
                          "some reasoning" but if you want to go that route then
                          we can do that as well. I've basically just shown some
                          inconsistencies in your own thinking and you just seem
                          pissed off. I haven't really even begun to get into
                          the matter honestly and you're already complaining. No
                          emotions, logic,coherence and rationality is what I
                          want and I want intelligent debate.

                          So
                          > what is my "leap of faith"? Faith in what?

                          Well, would you prefer for me to cite a source or
                          given an opinion?

                          > It does not meet acceptable criteria in historical
                          > methodology, agreed to by
                          > all historians.

                          Okay, I want to hammer at this point and I want you to
                          elaborate and go further in where you're getting this
                          thinking from. Elaborate and we will go from there.
                          Would you like to look at Green leafs review on the
                          matter, or which specific historian or train of
                          thinking on this matter are you pulling from.
                          Challenge me, no insults. Come on. Elaborate.

                          > There you go again, making things up. Opinions =
                          > lies. I supposed you knew
                          > better than that.

                          You are saying that the opinions of the writers of the
                          gospels are inconsistent with the objective reality of
                          what occur at these particular moments in the
                          spaceo-temporally expreinces expressed and that these
                          historically bound events as presented in these
                          scriptures are not true, are you not? If these
                          opinions are not true then they are False. If you wish
                          for me to say that they were expressing falsehoods,
                          but you don't consider falsehoods deliberately
                          expressed to be lies then we will have to establish a
                          commonality of defintions. If someone indeliberately
                          or direct tells me something that does not cohere to
                          reality then they are saying something inconsistent
                          and ultimately giving a falsehood or lie. This is a
                          fair succession of thought, common sense really.

                          > So, you
                          > > are claiming in this type of thought that the most
                          > > impactful,ethical,meaningful and hopeful figure in
                          > all
                          > > of human history is simply an illusion created by
                          > 4
                          > > jewish fisherman some 2,000 years ago and that all
                          > the
                          > > thinking,love,worship,respect and aw with which
                          > these
                          > > 4 men(who betrayed christ) and all the generations
                          > > since are absolutely wrong in every essential way?
                          >
                          > The number of peoples proves nothing.

                          Well, I was specifically only talking about the 4
                          writers, but implictedly their is much which you
                          simply dismiss illogically. By this statement I do
                          mean that there is evidence which must be reviewed
                          when there are literally millions of witnesses to an
                          event. This isn't ad populism, and I doubt a court of
                          law would dismiss witnesses because their stories
                          aligned with one another on the grounds of the fact
                          that they were similiar. There is a reality which has
                          touched billions of lives which you simply disregard,
                          as well there is an emphatic and develop subjective
                          process of experiental evidence which you will find as
                          well when you decide to come back to God. I do think
                          that it would be fair to examine if we are
                          specifically only imply aristotelian logic or if we
                          are assuming other aspects of evidence as well(which
                          we'd have to be), specifically alluding to the nature
                          of understanding legality and how evidence is
                          evaluated in this mode of thought.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • a a
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                            ALL peoples
                            > believe the sun revolves
                            > around the earth. Why don't you look up the logical
                            > fallacies. Did I say
                            > or indicate "absolutely wrong...."? No. Again all
                            > alternatives and
                            > possibilities must be considered. The rest of what
                            > you say is just
                            > continued bla, bla, bla. Come on, either debate or
                            > shut up. But first
                            > educate yourself on historical methodology.

                            Yes, one must avoid over generalities in reviewing
                            what may or may not be true-or this is a means through
                            which we should be mindful of at the very least.

                            Think about it though, you contradicted yourself when
                            you stated that ALL PEOPLE believe the earth revolves
                            around the sun. You're telling me not to over
                            generalize and then you give an example by over
                            generalizing. I think that you are an intelligent
                            person and I think that we can learn from each other,
                            but thus far it would be fair to say that you are more
                            contradictory in what you've been saying. Also, I
                            think it's a bit rash to assume that I haven't looked
                            at logical fallacies-but I'm not(on a personal note)
                            impressed enough but what you've said to feel so
                            challenged that I must go back and look them up.
                            You're more incoherent,more rash and more apt to
                            commit the logical fallacies you tell me to avoid, why
                            would I then feel that I should take your advice in
                            looking these matters up. Simply, the proof is not in
                            the pudding.

                            Then you say blah blah and shut up or debate, but I
                            haven't seen enough coherence in what you've said to,
                            at this point, present whatever bodies of evidence I
                            may want to discuss. I'm certianly not clear that you
                            understand the historical method and I seriously doubt
                            that you know what I do know or do not know on the
                            process and I think that you're taking a leap to
                            assume you do. Again, you make a leap of faith.
                            Elaborate w/o insults and we will go from there.

                            --- "Dr. Newton Joseph" <drnjoseph@...>
                            wrote:

> [...]

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • a a
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 26, 2006
                              Well, I find it amazing that you regress into
                              insults-lack logical basis for your faulty assumptions
                              and so passionately argue against passion.

                              So, did you chose to write what you just wrote or were
                              you simply a process of a mechanistic determinism as
                              alluded to in Newtonian thought? If you had no choice
                              in the matter then you are simply an automaton and not
                              a free thinker, which I think may be true. If you did
                              have free will then how are you logically trying to
                              completely disprove free will, using free will.

                              Come on guys, you have some knowledge philosophy and I
                              appreciate it, but I want you guys to be challenging.
                              Stop contradicting what you're saying. Let's debate.

                              > >I find it amazing that christians believe a complex
                              > and standardised series
                              > >of myths, yet can still stand up and say that they
                              > are not brainwashed and
                              > >have control over their own beliefs (dont they call
                              > it freewill or some
                              > >such garbage)
                              > >

                              > THE MYTH OF FREE WILL
                              >
                              > By Newton Joseph, Ph.D.
                              >

                              > The concept of free will has only one purpose, to
                              > defend and protect God
                              > from blame and responsibility and puts the burden of
                              > responsibility on its
                              > hapless victims who buys into this concept. Free
                              > will means there is nothing
                              > in our upbringing, nothing in our environment when
                              > we were children that
                              > there were no genetic predispositions that shaped
                              > and influenced us in any
                              > way or our temperament when we were born. Free will
                              > denies psychological
                              > factors such as influence and persuasion when we are
                              > young and easily
                              > influenced by authority figures. (All who are
                              > religious were conditioned in
                              > the manner of Pavlov's dogs) Do you naively think
                              > that a child exposed to
                              > the catholic catechism will be a free thinker with
                              > free will or will he be a
                              > brainwashed child seduced into the Catholic faith,
                              > which can no longer think
                              > free or have free will?
                              >

                              > Free will implies free thought. Free thought
                              > means Free thinker to be
                              > worthy of the name, One must be free of two
                              > things--the force of traditions
                              > and the tyranny of ones passions.
                              >
                              > -----------------------Bertrand Russell
                              >

                              > Free will is the Christian concept of humankind's
                              > depravity and their way to
                              > manipulate and control those who are under its spell
                              > and seduced by the
                              > concept of free will.
                              >
                              > Christians are too eager to put the blame on
                              > themselves to protect their
                              > father in the sky. Even this is not free will but a
                              > conditioned response
                              > after years of brainwashing.
                              >

                              > www.atheistfellowship.com

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • lord damien
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 27, 2006
                                nah - i dont think so. you bore me sorry

                                a a <Praesto12@...> wrote: Well, I find it amazing that you regress into

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • richard godwin
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 27, 2006
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 27, 2006
                                    WHY I AM NOT A MOSLEM

                                    By Ibn Warraq

                                    Islam makes it incumbent on all adult males, provided they are not
                                    "Disabled and incapacitated, to prepare themselves for the conquest of
                                    (other) countries so that the writ of Islam is obeyed in every country In
                                    the world. But those who study Islamic Holy War will understand why Islam
                                    wants to conquer the whole world. Those who know nothing of Islam pretend
                                    that Islam counsels against war. Those [who say this] are witless. Islam
                                    says Kill all the unbelievers just as they would kill you all! Does this
                                    mean that Muslims should sit back until they are devoured by [the
                                    unbelievers]? Islam says: Kill them [the non-Muslims], put them to the sword
                                    and scatter [their armies]. Does this mean sitting back until [non-Muslims]
                                    overcome us?

                                    Islam says: Kill in the service of Allah those who may want to kill you!
                                    Does this mean that we should surrender to the enemy? Islam says: Whatever
                                    good there is exists thanks to the sword and in the shadow of the sword!
                                    People cannot be made obedient except with the sword! The sword is the key
                                    to Paradise, which can be opened only for Holy Warriors! There are hundreds
                                    of other (Koranic) psalms and Hadiths [sayings of the Prophet] urging
                                    Muslims to value war and to fight. Does all that mean that Islam is a
                                    religion that prevents men from waging war? I spit upon those foolish souls
                                    who make such a claim."

                                    Ayatollah Khomeini

                                    New10
                                  • Dr. Newton Joseph
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 27, 2006
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 29, 2006
                                        Ya'll just appear to be battling over nothing so far. Science, both QM and
                                        Cosmology (astrophysics) are a long way from coming up with any satisfactory
                                        conclusions on this matter. There are numerous possibilities, no
                                        probabilities. Science cannot continue without some "standard model" for
                                        anything; it's necessary to have a base from which to work, and that's all
                                        it is. Hang around for another 50 years.