Noah's Ark or just an ancient boat?

  • kensharp81
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
      It never ceases to amaze me what theist seek to prove in order
      to "validate" their spiritual beliefs...will this be shoved down the
      throats (rhetorically speaking of course) of all those who dare
      oppose (or even question) the existence/concept of an omnipotent
      sentient being. Seems to me that only time will tell...

      Has Noah's Ark Been Found?
      Christian Archaeology Team Believes It's Found Biblical Remains

      June 29) - A team of Texas archaeologists believe they may have
      located the remains of Noah's Ark in Iran's Elburz mountain range.

      "I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch
      Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E)
      Institute, a Christian archeology organization dedicated to looking
      for biblical artifacts.

      Bonnema and the other B.A.S.E. Institute members hiked for seven
      hours in the mountains northwest of Tehran, climbing 13,000 feet
      before making the apparent discovery.

      "We got up to this object, nestled in the side of a hill," said
      Robert Cornuke, a member of the B.A.S.E. Institute. "We found
      something that has my heart skipping a beat."

      At first, they didn't dare to hope it was the biblical boat.

      "It wasn't impressive at first," Cornuke said. "Certainly didn't
      think it to be Noah's Ark. But when we got close, we were amazed. It
      looked similar to wood."

      In addition, some B.A.SE. members say, their discovery didn't look
      very distinctive.

      "It looked like the deck of any boat today," Bonnema said.

      Long Search for the Ark

      The Bible places the Ark in the mountains of Ararat, a mountain
      range theologians believe spans hundreds of miles, which the team
      says is consistent with their find in Iran.

      The Bible also describes the Ark's dimensions as being 300 cubits by
      50 cubits -- about the size of a small aircraft carrier. The
      B.A.S.E. Institute's discovery is similar in size and scale.

      "It is provocative to think that this could be the lost ark of
      Noah," Cornuke said

      Throughout history, people have been searching for the Ark to help
      prove God's existence.

      "There's this idea, if we can prove that the ark existed then we can
      prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove
      that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

      Previous scholars have searched for the Ark on Mount Ararat in
      Turkey.

      "Czar Nicholas, actually, in 1916 sent two expeditions to photograph
      it on top of Mount Ararat," said Feiler.

      One former U.S. president, Feiler said, looked for it in the
      mountains of Iran.

      "There is a story that Jimmy Carter, on his way to visit the Shah of
      Iran in 1977, purposefully flew over it," he said.

      As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos
      that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes
      the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the
      answer to this enduring mystery.

      "People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always
      be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found
      something here that's very notable."

      The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas
      and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to
      conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.

      So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark
      comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of
      gopher wood but no one knows what it is.

      ABC News' Chris Cuomo reported this story for "Good Morning America."

      06-29-06 17:31 EDT

      Copyright 2006 ABCNEWS.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
        Never mind that no wooden boat could possibly be that big nor that
        eight people could not have possibly built something the size of a
        small aircraft carrier in their lifetimes.

        They also don't mention the kind of conditions it would have to endure
        (rain worse than anywhere on the planet, etc, etc).

        --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "kensharp81" <kensharp81@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos
        > that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes
        > the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the
        > answer to this enduring mystery.
        >
        > "People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always
        > be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found
        > something here that's very notable."
        >
        > The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas
        > and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to
        > conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.
        >
        > So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark
        > comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of
        > gopher wood but no one knows what it is.
        >
        > ABC News' Chris Cuomo reported this story for "Good Morning America."

      • lord damien
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2006
          well they had the help of god of course - silly

          bestonnet_00 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Never mind that no wooden boat could possibly be that big nor that

          wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos
          > that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes
          > the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the
          > answer to this enduring mystery.
          >
          > "People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always
          > be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found
          > something here that's very notable."
          >
          > The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas
          > and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to
          > conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.
          >
          > So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark
          > comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of
          > gopher wood but no one knows what it is.
          >
          > ABC News' Chris Cuomo reported this story for "Good Morning America."

        • lord damien
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2006
            oh and dont forget that noah lived to be about a thousand

            wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos
            > that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes
            > the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the
            > answer to this enduring mystery.
            >
            > "People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always
            > be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found
            > something here that's very notable."
            >
            > The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas
            > and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to
            > conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.
            >
            > So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark
            > comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of
            > gopher wood but no one knows what it is.
            >
            > ABC News' Chris Cuomo reported this story for "Good Morning America."

          • lord damien
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2006

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2006
                --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, lord damien
                <lord_damien2002@...> wrote:

                > oh and dont forget that noah lived to be about a thousand

                Which wouldn't help them at all since if Noah had started several
                thousand years ago he'd still be building it (not to mention having to
                deal with rotting timber).