Re: Tolerant and rational people who challenge superstition.

  • KenSharp81@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , May 12, 2006
      You make a valid point. And yes, I (or any other atheist) would probably be be asked to be quiet or end up being promptly "escorted" from the services, if that were the case. However, I feel one element that separates an atheist from a theist is that sort of rhetorical intolerance. By the nature of their beliefs (in general) I perceive theist to be closed-minded (they have to be to accept precepts based on absolute 'faith'), but I, as an atheist feel that being tolerant of such beliefs is a significant and symbolic distinction. Now it is an entirely different story if such a person is belligerent or overly aggressive citing the same points of view ad nauseum, then it becomes counter-productive...at this point I tend to find most debates with theist to be fruitless. I do acknowledge your perspective, and to that I say a post that you feel is nonsensical shouldn't be validated with a response.

      Message 7
      From: "lord_damien2002" lord_damien2002@...
      Date: Thu May 11, 2006 6:39pm(PDT)
      Subject: Re: Tolerant and rational people who challenge superstition.

      ----- KEN ----- thanks for your post dude. Just one thought -
      there are plenty of internet groups and other mediums where people get
      together to discuss the merits of religion. Don't you think atheists
      deserve a place where they can get together and discuss the
      furtherance of their cause without constant interferance from theist
      activists like mark. If you went into a church and started to disrupt
      the procedings with atheist outbursts, you would rapidly be removed.
      Cheers.

    • lord_damien2002
      Message 39 of 39 , May 12, 2006

        > > who wishes to challenge superstition - when you so blatantly
        appear
        > > to me to be an irrational person who wishes to promote
        > superstition.
        > > sorry to "whup" you so much by the way.
        > >
        > > > -M: Where is my irrationality?
        > >
        > > >LD3 - irational people are too irrational to realise how
        > irrational
        > > they are.
        > >
        > > -M: This is often the case.
        > > I still asked where my irrationality was.
        > >
        > > >LD3: just take our word for it eh Mark
        > >
        > > -M:'our' - you are now a collective? Who is a part of your
        > > collective? Can you name names here? Dan, is LD in your
        collective?
        > > Do you claim him?
        > >

        > D: No, I don't claim him. Kick his presumptuous butt, amigo.
        >
        > Dan

        LD4 - sorry for being presumptuous. i concede atheists are not a
        collective due to tremendously differing views