8652spirituality

  • uuchild73034
    Sep 5, 2003
      Hello All!
      I have just joined this group and am interested in some feedback
      here.
      First, let me tell a little about myself. I am a member of a
      Unitarian Universalist congregation. I was raised in the Lutheran
      tradition, but always found that path to be, more or less, just mere
      mythology. I recently, within the last three years, felt that I
      needed some type of spirituality in my, and my daughter's, life and
      started loking around at churches within my area.
      I discovered the Unitarians.
      I liked what they had to say about "the interdependent web of all
      existence," and "the free and responsible search for truth and
      meaning." I sensed logic in the humanist teachings and, yes, even
      the Christian/Judaic roots that UU's draw from.
      Personally, I consider myself, if one has to have a label, to be
      pagan. Mainly because, if categorizing, I am not a follower of any
      of the Abrahamic religions. Yet, I do feel a sense of divinity.
      Not "God" in the preconceived definition of the word, but "God" in
      the process and connection of Life.
      (The word "God" is very difficult for me to comprehend or convey
      since the word "God" has so many traditional attachments to it.)
      Anyway, to me, Life itself is "God." Life itself is divine.
      I have struggled, and continue to do so, with the notion of "God".
      Part of me "feels the spirit." I feel the spirit when I look at a
      child. I feel the spirit when I see a hawk flying with a snake
      writhing in its' talons. I feel the spirit when I make love. I feel
      the spirit when I am overwhelmed with laughter. I feel the spirit
      when I am among devout Christians, or Judeans, or Muslims, or
      Buddhists, or Taoists, or Wiccans, or Yorubans, or Atheists or any
      other belief system. I feel the spirit in the trees, and rocks, and
      stars, and clouds, and ...
      Okay, enough of this diatribe. My question to you is:
      Does someone who labels themselves as "atheist" have a type of
      spirituality to them? (Bear in mind that I see a distinct difference
      between spirituality and religion.)
      At the church, for lack of a better word, that I attend there are
      quite a few professed atheists. These are some of the most
      spitritual people I know.
      They are loving and connected and happy. They seem to worship beyond
      what any Christian is capable of. And, FYI, they embody the
      principles of Jesus far beyond ANY holy roller, evagelical, bible
      thumping, right-wing, fanatical, warrior for Christ, flag waving,
      anti-abortionist, homo-phobic idiot that I can think of.
      So,...what's the deal?
      What started this train of thought in my head was a conversation I
      had with a fellow worker who says he is "atheist."
      He, who perhaps is on his own journey of discovery, says that as an
      atheist he can not recognize or accept a spirituality. From what I
      can gather with conversation with him, "atheists" have no
      spirituality.
      This, to me, seems pretty bleak.
      Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just my Lutheran upbringing that still
      has a hold on me. Maybe Life is just a wondrous, endless chance for
      experience and change. But, isn't there SOMEHING?
      Okay, I'll end now.
      (By the way, I do the children's R.E, religious education, at the
      UU "church." I try to teach through stories. And I believe that ALL
      paths have a lesson to be learned. Atheism is a lesson that I have
      not touched on, yet. But, if it exisits, then it must be relevant
      and necessary.)
      Without thinking of belief, or creed, or faith, or religion...
      What is spirituality to you? Is there spritualtity?
      When you hear the phrase "higher power" what does that mean, if
      anything?
      In a country that, unfortunately, seems to be governed by "God bless
      America," how do you justify and maintain, and explain to the
      ignorant masses, that "God" is an abberation?
      In this same country, that insists on misinterpreting our fore-
      fathers and mothers, how do you manage to impart the goodness
      (spirituality) and connection (spirituality) and love (spirituality)
      that is, in my mind, divinity?
      What is atheism?
      Is it just another label?
      I see Life as "God."
      What can I learn from you and what can I teach the children of the
      new world?
      (As a teaser: To me, the statement "I don't believe in "God" is
      admiting that there is a god to not believe in. Strange...)

      Please don't think that I am trying to convert or preach. I am
      merely curious and hungry for growth and understanding. I write a
      lot of children's stories and am always trying to expand on the
      wealth of life that exisits.

      With or without...Life goes on. And Life ALWAYS goes on. That, to
      me, is "God."

      Sincerely,
      Melody
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic