11530Re: [Death To Religion] Re: Introduction

    Jan 8, 2009
      It is easy to overlook the diversity of Christianity, even at its beginning.
      Lumping all different groups in one which you describe, mostly medieval
      Catholicism, commits at the least the logical fallacy of composition. It
      appears the violence of Catholicism began with the Roman Emperor Constantine
      appropriating the nascent religion into his unification program for the
      Empire. Thus the combination of religion with the State provided fertile
      ground to all kinds of abuses, both with people and with wealth. Throughout
      history State religions have caused these kinds of problems. Eastern
      religions have not been so inclined, and Islam has a long history of
      resistance to unification of religion with the State, based on recognition
      of abuses at times of such unification in their history. In Christianity,
      the beginnings of Protestantism brought cessation to most of those abuses.
      Perhaps judgment of Western religions, especially Christianity, should
      better begin with the Age of Enlightenment. The problems since then have
      been caused by what became called the Fundamentalists and the plenary
      literal interpretion of the Bible, but that form of Christianity gradually
      has been minimized, especially from the beginning of the 20th century, and
      most Fundies (Evangelicals) hold beliefs in countering violence in lieu of
      helping needy people, with a strong emphasis on universal love. The attacks
      on Christianity by Richard Dawkins in particular, and partially by others,
      have been directed at the Fundamentalists, in which he and others also
      lumped all Christianity. In criticisms and condemnations, it would be
      better to pick out the particular Christian groups, some of which have
      become cults, such as the Korish group in Waco, Texas, and the Falwell (dead
      now), Pat Robertson, and other televangelist Fundies.