11527Re: Introduction

    Jan 7, 2009
      --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Musser"
      <gladflyweather@...> wrote:

      > I am an atheist, but I do not have any great antipathy to religion,
      > in fact I am inclined to defend it because I believe religion is an
      > inevitable reality for man,

      Despite it being wrong (and not very inevitable given how fragile
      faith is).

      > 2. I believe that Christianity is one of the better options,

      Actually it's probably one of the worst when it comes to violence and
      oppression.

      > 3. I believe it is possible to criticize Christianity without
      > becoming obnoxious and giving atheists a bad rap,

      A lot of people who believed that have found out the hard way that
      it's actually isn't.

      The basic problem is that criticism of religion has become something
      of a taboo in our society to the point at which even mild criticism is
      considered obnoxious.

      I wouldn't expect the regular theists in here to do any of that but
      there are a lot of religious people in the real world who take offence
      at even mild criticisms.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic