11410[Death To Religion] Re: A Strategy of 'Subversive Rationalization' for a post-Ab

    Apr 9, 2008
      --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Godwin" <meta@...> wrote:

> [...]

      Usually when some idiot legislator puts a specific exemption in the
      law stating that it isn't a crime if done for religious reasons,
      usually not included in marriage laws.

      > Catholic priests practicing child abuse as pediphiles show where you
      > are wrong.

      That is still illegal, just that the Catholic Church has tended to be
      very bad at actually dealing with them.

      > > I'd be more inclined to bring up faith healing and denial of real
      > > medicine to kids, that's probably the worst of all religious
      > > exemptions still existing in developed countries (and the
      > > polygamists aren't likely to win).
      >
      > Agreed, except the polygamists HAVE BEEN winning.

      In court?

      > Why wouldn't they continue to win? But agreed there is some small
      > progress in the direction of beating them. Fear of the Waco
      > incident holds back progress though.

      Sounds to me like the only reason that they might appear to be winning
      is because the government is too scared to confront them (although
      given what religious fanatics can do one does need to be careful).
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic