11398[Death To Religion] Re: A Strategy of 'Subversive Rationalization' for a post-Ab

    Apr 4, 2008
      --- In deathtoreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Godwin" <meta@...> wrote:

      > ==(they do look set to kick the Republicans out of power at their
      > next election and have a populous that is fed up with the
      > theocrats).
      >
      > I suspect you would be proven wrong. Undoubtedly Obama will be the
      > Democrat candidate.

      Him or another Clinton (and probably the loser between those two being
      the vice president).

      > Judging by his spiritual advisor, I suspect he, leader of the
      > Democratics, will then be the theocrats,

      I suspect not. He is religious to be sure but he does seem to realise
      that religion should be kept out of government and that laws should
      not be made unless they serve a secular purpose.

      > while McCain does not favor religion, although he does use all
      > sources for election support, such as the Evangelicals who are a
      > very large voting group.

      Hard to say, he's attempt at becoming presidential candidate in 2000
      was destroyed because he didn't pander to the nut cases but he sure
      seems to be doing a lot of pandering to them now. Should he get in
      it'll probably be just like another term of Bush.

      There is also Congress which should become majority democrat.

      > The special privilege I have for a long time hoped to be corrected
      > is the tax exempt status for the all sorts of religious
      > organization. Churches should pay taxes just like the rest of us.
      > After all it is a well-established fact they are businesses in the
      > common definition of money makers.

      That's the big one that we need to see corrected (though I wouldn't
      have a problem with religious organisations which provide charity that
      isn't intended to convert people nor restricted to only their members
      getting tax exemptions) although there are others that I'd like to do
      away with (about the only one I'd keep would be exemptions from voting).
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic