11031Students Expelled for Desecrating Bible (Melbourne, Australia)

  • Andrew Rawlings
    Dec 5, 2006
      Hi All,

      This is new news on 'The Age' website.
      See text below.

      I have sent the following short letter.
      "The punishment of the young boys for damaging a worthless book is out of
      all proportion.
      Adults can do the same things to the Australian flag with impunity."

      I wanted to add,
      "The whole thing gives me the shits - where's my Bible?"
      but thought that might reduce the chance of it being published.

      I wonder what would happen if we did a public desecration of some Bibles?

      The address of the Letters Editor is <letters@...>.
      Short letters to 'The Age' are only published in the newspaper and not
      Longer letters are published in both.

      Andrew Rawlings.

      I have had some computer problems therefore emails sent to me before
      Saturday, 7th October '06, may have been deleted and more recent emails sent
      before Wednesday, 19th October '06, may have been bounced.
      Please resend if you think I may not have your email.

      Students expelled for desecrating Bible
      December 6, 2006 - 9:45AM

      A Melbourne school has expelled two Muslim students and suspended a third
      for urinating and spitting on a Bible and setting it alight, according to a

      The incident involved students from East Preston Islamic College and took
      place at a school camp last week, a News Limited newspaper reports today.

      Teachers at the school have reportedly petitioned the principal over an
      "inculcation of hatred and radical attitudes towards non-Muslims" at the
      school, including teachers.

      The newspaper says the incident appalled the principal, who had called in an
      assistant imam to reiterate to students that all religions must be

      According to the newspaper, a Year 7 student urinated on the Holy Bible,
      tore pages from it, set them on fire and spat on it. The second boy, a Year
      9 student, also tore out and set alight pages from the book, while another
      Year 7 boy tore out pages and pretended to smoke them like a cigarette.

      In a letter to staff obtained by the newspaper, the principal, Mr Shaheem
      Doutie apologised "for this horrible act as conducted by some illiterate and
      ignorant students while under the care of EPIC teachers".

      Mr Doutie told the newspaper he did not believe the boys realised the
      significance of their act.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic