death penalty news-----worldwide

  • Rick Halperin
    Message 1 of 758 , Dec 31, 2003
      Dec. 31

      Falungong cult murderer sentenced to death

      A Falungong cult follower who poisoned and killed 15 innocent people was
      given death penalty by a court in east China's Zhejiang province Tuesday

      Chen Fuzhao, an assistant clinician in a small hospital in Cangnan county,
      was found to have poisoned 15 vagrant beggars and trash pickers by giving
      them beverages mixed with rat poison from May 25 to June 27, 2003.

      In the 1st instance judgment issued by the municipal intermediate people's
      court of Wenzhou, to which Cangnan county belongs, he was also found
      guilty of putting poison into a thermosflask containing boiled water in
      the kitchen of a Buddhist temple. A female worshipper drank the water,
      fell to ground and died.

      Chen admitted the charges of poisoning the 16 innocent people to death in
      the trial.

      According to the court verdict, Chen had started to practice Falungong
      cult in 1996. Under the mental control of the so-called Falungong "master"
      Li Hongzhi, he gradually came up with the idea of "upgrading" himself and
      raising his own power by massacring others with beggars and trash pickers
      as the target of his assaults.

      Many locals watched the trial and heard the verdict.

      (source: Xinhuanet)
    • Rick Halperin
      Message 758 of 758 , Feb 1, 2012
        Feb. 1

        17 former death row Indians have criminal case adjourned

        The criminal case against 17 Indian men who were spared the death penalty after
        being convicted of murder last year has been adjourned to February 8.

        The men were found guilty of killing a man during a brawl in Sharjah in 2009 -
        a fight prosecutors claimed was part of a bootlegging turf war - but were
        spared the death sentence after paying Dh3.4 million in blood money to the
        victim's family last year.

        In September of last year, the Sharjah Court of Appeal ordered the men to be
        deported and commuted their sentences to 2 years. But prosecutors appealed
        against the verdict at the Federal Supreme Court, urging it to take into
        account injuries sustained by 3 other men during the brawl as well as further
        charges of possessing and selling alcohol.

        However, in December of last year, the apex court transferred the case back to
        the appeal court, ordering it to review only the alcohol charges.

        A final verdict had been expected today, but has been adjourned to next

        In a separate civil case, two of the three men who claim they were hurt in the
        brawl have filed a Dh1.5 million compensation suit at the Sharjah Court of
        First Instance. The civil case has been adjourned to February 15.

        (source: The National)

        Death penalty debate sparked by Tory senator----'Every murderer should have a
        rope in his cell,' says Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu

        Conservative Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu said Wednesday he's against the
        death penalty, but not opposed to convicted murderers having ropes in their
        cells to kill themselves.

        His comments, made to reporters ahead of the Conservative caucus meeting,
        prompted immediate reaction on Parliament Hill and quickly had Boisvenu

        "No, I'm not in favour of the death penalty, I think people need to be given a
        chance. But other cases should be reconsidered," he said.

        Boisvenu went on to talk about convicted murderers who are deemed to have no
        chance at rehabilitation and gave serial killer Clifford Olson as an example.

        "Basically I think that every murderer should have a rope in his cell and he
        can decide on his own life. But I'm against the death penalty," Boisvenu said
        in French. He then talked about the cost of housing convicted killers in jail
        and also referred to the Shafia family case, in which a mother, father and
        their son were convicted on Sunday of murdering 4 members of their own family.

        Boisvenu later told a television network that he had gone too far with his
        comments and that he shouldn't have made them publicly. He also told a radio
        station that it was an inappropriate thing to say and that mistakes are made in

        He said that he is not lobbying for a debate on the death penalty, but that
        there are plenty of people who would like to see it talked about.

        Boisvenu, who was appointed to the Senate by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in
        2010, sits on the committee that is studying the government's omnibus crime
        bill. It is holding its first meeting on the bill later Wednesday and senators
        will hear from Justice Minister Rob Nicholson and Public Safety Minister Vic

        NDP calls it a 'sad day'

        The Quebec senator is known as a victims' rights advocate and is the founder of
        the Murdered or Missing Persons' Families' Association, a group he created
        after his daughter was murdered in 2002.

        While Boisvenu made it clear he is against the death penalty his comments still
        sparked criticism on Parliament Hill.

        Interim NDP Leader Nycole Turmel said it was a "sad day."

        "I just hope that it's not the feeling or sentiment of all the Conservative
        senators we have in the House," she told reporters after her party's caucus

        "I believe Mr. Harper should have a good discussion with the senator," Turmel
        said. If he maintains his views, he should be asked to withdraw from the Senate
        committee, "because that doesn't represent the Canadian society at all."

        Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae said Boisvenu's comments "were obviously
        completely unacceptable."

        "He's also suggesting that the prison system break the Criminal Code, which is
        equally ludicrous," he said. Rae said Boisvenu's personal experience may have
        prompted the emotion that led to those remarks but they are still

        "I hope Mr. Harper will completely disown them and make it clear that they're
        not the policies of the government," Rae told reporters.

        Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu said Wednesday he is against the death penalty
        but not opposed to convicted serial killers having ropes in their cells.
        Boisvenu's fellow senator on the legal and constitutional affairs committee,
        Conservative Bob Runciman, said Boisvenu's opinion is not one he shares and
        that the debate on capital punishment should not be reopened.

        Runciman said people should understand what Boisvenu has been through because
        of the loss of his daughter and "extend some appreciation to the trauma and the
        impact that's had."

        He doesn't think Boisvenu needs to withdraw from the Senate committee that
        studies crime and justice legislation.

        "He has huge credibility within Quebec, especially with respect to the tragedy
        that befell his family and the loss of his daughter. I think he's a valuable
        member of the committee," said Runciman.

        NDP MP Pat Martin, known for not holding back his views, said Boisvenu's
        comments were "appalling."

        "You stuff the Senate full of hacks and flaks and Tory idiots and you're going
        to get some stupid comments," he said. "Whoever put him there should apologize
        on his behalf if he's too stupid to apologize himself."

        (source: CBC News)

        Group, Can Flay Death Sentence On Al-Mustapha

        MORE reactions yesterday continued to trail the death sentence passed on the
        former Chief Security Officer to the former Head of State, Abacha, Major Hamza
        Al- Mustapha, with the Justice Development and Peace Movement and the Vice
        Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) asking for the commuting
        of the death sentence.

        The stance of the movement was made known by its coordinator, Rev. Father
        Micheal Adeogun, who spoke with newsmen in Abeokuta.

        The movement posited that the judgment portrayed a judiciary that was alive to
        its responsibility, and that no sinner shall go unpunished.

        'I looked at the judgment from the point of international law, especially the
        one that has to do with international declaration of human rights in December
        1998, where it was declared that each person has a right to live and as such no
        one shall be subjected to torture, degradation and any inhuman treatment, and I
        ask, what is Nigeria doing about that', he said.

        Although he said the judgment reflected the wish of the people, he was quick to
        add that it ha been a long time death penalty was passed on any erring criminal
        in the country and called for the committal of the death sentence.

        The JDPM, which advocated an alternative to death sentence, noted, however,
        that Nigerian prisons should be decongested.

        The vice chairman of Christian Association of Nigeria, (CAN) Rev Vincent Ajayi
        said, it was good that the court had decided that both Al-Mustapha and
        Shofolahan should die by hanging for the role they played in the gruesome
        murder of Alhaja Kudirat Abiola about 16 years ago.

        He explained that Christians do not support capital punishment because life is
        a precious gift from God, which nobody has right to take, adding that is reason
        why Christians keep on advocating that capital punishment should be abolished.

        'By killing that person, eventually, we end up having two lives lost and it is
        of no good. It will not bring back the life of the person killed', he said.

        I Don't Believe in Death Penalty - Hafsat Abiola

        Daughter of the late Kudirat Abiola, wife of the late presidential candidate
        Moshood Abiola who was killed in 1996, Mrs Hafsat Abiola-Costello said she
        doesn't believe in death penalty.

        Hafsat, who spoke to the BBC Hausa service monitored yesterday in Abuja, was
        reacting to the Lagos High Court death sentences passed on Major Hamza
        Al-Mustapha, the Chief Security officer of the late Head of State Sani Abacha
        and personal assistant to Kudirat, Lateef Shofolahan over the murder of

        Hafsat said even though the judgements were in favour of the Abiola family, she
        preferred disciplinary punishment.

        "I do not believe in death penalty. At the same time, I am in a country where
        the state uses power and in some cases abuses power and nothing ever happened.
        So, I wanted them to be punished not hanged to death.

        "I feel very relieved that court has sentenced the two people that involved
        into the assassination of my mum to death, because we waited close to 16years.
        Though our mum will never come back to life but those who killed her could not
        go freely without any judgment," she said.

        When asked for her comment, Hajiya Hafsat, wife of Al-Mustapha, said, "We leave
        everything to Almighty Allah. There is no justice in this judgment, he was
        arrested along with others but he is the longest serving in prison without

        Kudirat was shot to death about 8.a.m in Lagos on 4 June 1996, while she was on
        her way to Lagos. Justice Mojisola Dada handed out the verdict, after more than
        7 hours of reading the verdict.

        But reacting to the verdict in a telephone interview with news men in Abeokuta,
        on Monday, Hafsat said that the judgment might be slow but, it was not denied,
        asserting, "it was a victory for Nigerians."

        "My mother can have relief. I want to say that we are grateful to the judiciary
        for the judgment. Though we can say it is delayed, but, it is never denied. I
        am relieved myself, because we almost lost faith in the judiciary, but, today
        we have a victory for Nigerians," she said.

        Abiola-Costello who was barely 21 when the incident occurred described her Late
        mother's Personal Assistant, Shofolohan as an opportunist who came into the
        family under the pretext of giving her mother political support, but went

        (source: All Africa News)