PRESIDENT'S TAX REFORM PANEL INVITES COMMENTS ON SPECIFIC TAX REFORM PROPOSALS

  • Sam Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2005
      For Immediate Release

      May 17, 2005

      PRESIDENT'S TAX REFORM PANEL INVITES COMMENTS ON
      SPECIFIC TAX REFORM
      PROPOSALS

      WASHINGTON, DC - Senators Connie Mack and John Breaux,
      Chairman and
      Vice-Chairman of the President's Advisory Panel on
      Federal Tax Reform, today
      announced that the Panel is inviting interested
      parties to submit comments
      on the various tax reform proposals that have been
      presented to the Panel.
      These comments should be submitted by June 10, 2005.
      The presentations from
      last week's meetings, as well as other written
      submissions, are available at
      www.taxreformpanel.gov.

      "At our two-day public meeting last week, 27 witnesses
      presented ideas and
      specific proposals for reforming the tax code," stated
      Senator Connie Mack,
      Chairman of the President's Advisory Panel on Federal
      Tax Reform. "The Panel
      is now beginning to evaluate these ideas as well as
      other proposals that
      have been submitted to the Panel. We look forward to
      hearing the views of
      individuals, businesses, and associations about the
      potential benefits and
      problems with reform proposals that we have received."

      "Our goal is to provide tax reform options that are
      simpler, fairer, and
      pro-growth, and so it is important that we continue to
      hear from Americans
      about the kind of tax system they want," said Senator
      John Breaux,
      Vice-Chairman of the Panel.

      This is the Panel's third specific request for
      comments. In connection with
      its first two requests, the Panel received thousands
      of comments describing
      complexities and burdens, unfair aspects and
      distortions in the current tax
      system, and specific proposals for reforming the tax
      code.

      Information on how to submit comments as well as
      details on the format for
      comments are available at
      www.taxreformpanel.gov/contact/. Comments
      submitted in connection with this third request should
      be received by the
      Panel no later than June 10, 2005. Comments should be
      limited to 5 pages
      (excluding a one-page summary) of double-spaced
      written text in 12 point
      font. All comments submitted will be made available
      to the public.

      The President's Advisory Panel on Federal Tax Reform
      was established by
      President Bush on January 7, 2005. President Bush has
      charged the
      bipartisan panel with recommending reforms to the tax
      code that will make
      the U.S. tax system simpler, fairer and more growth
      oriented.

      Further details are available on the Panel's website
      at
      www.taxreformpanel.gov.

      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail