Thorn #7

  • tsull2121@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
      The alarm sounded, waking Rose from her sleep.  She stretched and sat up, looking at Charley Parker.. lying next to her, and smiled.  "What a sweet man." she thought to herself.  She kissed him gently on the temple and climbed out of bed.

      After getting out of the shower, Rose walked into her bedroom where Charley was still sleeping.  She got dressed and sat at her coffee table, writing a note for Charley.  She took a key off her keyring and left it on the note, then quietly left her apartment and headed toward her job.

      Charley woke up a half an hour after Rose left and climbed out of bed.   Entering the living room, he saw the note Rose had left.  "Charley, I didn't want to wake you since it is so early.  Here is an extra key to my apartment... keep it, but make sure you lock up when you leave.  Call me later and we can go get lunch.  Have a great day at work. Love, Rose".  Charley smiled and put the key in his pants pocket then headed towards the shower.  Fifteen minutes later, he left the apartment and locked up.

      Rose was in Bruce Wayne's office, completing some filing around 11:30 when the phone rang.  Picking up the phone without stopping filing she said.. "Bruce Wayne's office, Rose Forrest speaking how may I help you?"  A familiar voice was on the other side of the phone.  "Hey beautiful, you ready for lunch?"   Rose smiled, put the files down, sat behind Bruce's desk and said.. "Hey there sleepy head, I didn't want to wake you this morning.  Did you get out on time?"   Charley resplied.. "Yeh, not ot worry.  The park isn't that far from your apartment so I had plenty of time.  Where do you want to go for lunch?"  Rose took some files and spun around in the chair, returing them to the cabinet and continued to talk.   "I'm afraid I can't get away this afternoon for lunch charley, I have a lot of stuff to catch up on.  Mr. Wayne is out of town for a few days so I have to call his scheduled appointments and cancel them for another day, and then there's the files and restocking his kitchen.."  Charley interrupted. "Isn't there a comissary in that building?  Maybe someone can cover you for about twenty minutes so we can grab something to eat there and you won't have to leave te building?"  Rose thought for a second and said.. "That's a great idea Charley, hold on a second."  Rose called the reception desk outside.   "Ellie, it's Rose.  My... boyfriend.. is coming to take me to lunch in a little while.  Would you be able to cover for me at Bruce Wanye's office for about twenty minutes while we get something to eat?"  Ellie giggled and said.. "Sure thing Rose.. on one condition.  You let me see this mysterious boyfriend AND you give me all the gory details of your lunchdate."  Rose laughed and said.. "Thank you Ellie, and I will do what I can."  Rose hung up the phone and picked the line with Charley back up.  "Ok, no problem.. I arranged to have someone cover for me for twenty minutes while we get lunch. I will see you in a half hour Charley."  charley smiled to himself as he replied... "Ok, see you in a half hour then Rose.  Love you."  Charley hesitated afterhe said it, unsure if Rose was as interested in him as he was in her... but it was out there, and now it's up to her.  Rose hesitated for a second herself before she replied.   "Love you too Charley.  See you in thirty." She then hung up the phone and stared at the files for five minutes thinking about what she had just said, then returned to her filing and waited for noon to come along.

      Meanwhile, in Gotham Police Headquarters Comissioner Gordon issued an A.P.B.   "Super-human, reportedly in the Gotham Diamond District, heisting a small fortune in precious stones.  Alert all units, apprehend but use caution.   Abilities unknown but consider dangerous... name of Hybrid.  Physical description nearly seven feet tall, weighing approximately two hundred ninety pounds.  Green scaled skin, bat-like wings protruding from his back, clawed fingers and toes."  In Gotham Central Park, a couple of patrolmen were purchasing a bag of roasted chestnuts when the A.P.B was announced and they responded immediately.  So did Charley.  Pushing his cart aside and hiding it in the bushes, Charley ran towards the restrooms to change.  Seconds later, Golden Eagle soared the skies of Gotham City once again.

      Charley searched the skies for Hybrid, flying across the city repeatedly.  As he passed Wayne Tech, he remembered his lunchdate with Rose.  "Damn." he cursed.. "I have to cut my search short.  Rose would kill me if I missed our lunch."  Landing in an alley nearby, Charley changed clothes and entered the main lobby.  Walking up to the front desk, Ellie welcomed him.  "Welcome to Wayne Tech, how may I help you?"  Charley smiled, and Ellie swore she felt her heart skip a beat.  "I'm Charley Parker.. I'm here to take Rose Forrest to lunch?"   Ellie stared at Charley with her mouth open, and pushed the intercom button.   "Bruce Wayne's office, what's up Ellie?"  Ellie couldn't speak, she just stammered into the machine.  Rose laughedand said.. "Oh, Charley must be here.  I'll be right down."

      The elevator doors opened and Rose walked out.  Ellie still sat in amazement, ogling Charley.  Rose shook her head and smiled as she walked up to her lunchdate and kissed him on the cheek.  "Ellie, meet Charley Parker.  Charley, the mumbling mess in front of you is Ellie, my best friend here at Wayne Tech.   Thanks for covering for me Ellie."  All Ellie could manage was "Uh-huh." as Charley and Rose headed towards the comissary.

      As they sat to eat, the television flashed the news of the diamond heist.   Rose looked at Charley and said.. "That's terrible!  Were they able to find this Hybrid person?"  Charley shook his head and said.. "No, they even had help from Golden Eagle looking for him but no luck."  Rose looked at Charley and said.. "Golden Eagle huh?  I seem to have heard of him before a few years ago,a nd he just seems to have popped up again recently.  Wasn't he one of the Teen Titans for a time?"  Charley nodded.  "Yeh, when they had the West Coast branch of the team."  Rose looked at her watch and said.. "It's almost time for me to get back Charley.  Meet you tonight for dinner?"  Charley grinned and replied.. "Sure bet.  I'll see you around seven?"  Rose stood up and carried her tray, followed by Charley.  "Seven is fine.  You need a ride from the park to your place? I can pick you up after I leave here tonight?"  Charley thought for a second then seemed almost nervous.  "I forgot about my cart!  I left it in the bushes when I came here!  Damn, I hope nobody took it!  What I DON'T need is to be out of a job!"  Rose thought for a second and asked.. "What would you say if I was able to get you a job working here instead of selling roasted chestnuts in the park?"  Charley stopped and looked at Rose in disbelief.  "You would do that for me?"  Rose laughed and kissed him.  "Of course, I am sure it pays much better and you wouldn't have to worry about working outside in the cold during the winter.  Let me talk to Mr. Wayne and see what I can get for you."  Charley hugged Rose as she entered the elvator, and he exited the building.

      Entering the alleyway once again, Charley changed back into Golden Eagle and took to the skies again, heading towards the park.  In Bruce Wayne's office, Rose sat and stared out the window just as Golden Eagle flew by.  Seeing him triggered something in Rose's subconscious and she reached into her bag, withdrew her wig and costume, and Thorn leapt out the window and across town, rooftop to rooftop.. searching for Hybrid.

    • Darci
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
        Timmy,
        OK, so it must be Thorn that invited Charlie to stay the night, or she certainly wouldn't have let Rose give him a key to their apartment.  Rose certainly was equanimous about waking up next to a strange man, however.

        IIRC, you stated at the beginning that you'd written 7 chapters.  Is this the end for now?
        Thanks,
        Darci

[...]

        Rose was in Bruce Wayne's office, completing some filing around 11:30 when the phone rang.  Picking up the phone without stopping filing she said.. "Bruce Wayne's office, Rose Forrest speaking how may I help you?"  A familiar voice was on the other side of the phone.  "Hey beautiful, you ready for lunch?"   Rose smiled, put the files down, sat behind Bruce's desk and said.. "Hey there sleepy head, I didn't want to wake you this morning.  Did you get out on time?"   Charley resplied.. "Yeh, not ot worry.  The park isn't that far from your apartment so I had plenty of time.  Where do you want to go for lunch?"  Rose took some files and spun around in the chair, returning them to the cabinet and continued to talk.   "I'm afraid I can't get away this afternoon for lunch Charley, I have a lot of stuff to catch up on.  Mr. Wayne is out of town for a few days so I have to call his scheduled appointments and cancel them for another day, and then there's the files and restocking his kitchen.."  Charley interrupted. "Isn't there a commissary in that building?  Maybe someone can cover you for about twenty minutes so we can grab something to eat there and you won't have to leave the building?"  Rose thought for a second and said.. "That's a great idea Charley, hold on a second."  Rose called the reception desk outside.   "Ellie, it's Rose.  My... boyfriend.. is coming to take me to lunch in a little while.  Would you be able to cover for me at Bruce Wanye's office for about twenty minutes while we get something to eat?"  Ellie giggled and said.. "Sure thing Rose.. on one condition.  You let me see this mysterious boyfriend AND you give me all the gory details of your lunchdate."  Rose laughed and said.. "Thank you Ellie, and I will do what I can."  Rose hung up the phone and picked the line with Charley back up.  "Ok, no problem.. I arranged to have someone cover for me for twenty minutes while we get lunch.  I will see you in a half hour Charley."  Charley smiled to himself as he replied... "Ok, see you in a half hour then Rose.  Love you."  Charley hesitated afterhe said it, unsure if Rose was as interested in him as he was in her... but it was out there, and now it's up to her.  Rose hesitated for a second herself before she replied.   "Love you too Charley.  See you in thirty." She then hung up the phone and stared at the files for five minutes thinking about what she had just said, then returned to her filing and waited for noon to come along.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
          IIRC, you stated at the beginning that you'd written 7 chapters.  Is this the end for now?
          Thanks,
          Darci

          yeh at least til i get home tonight an dwrite more lol.  i actually had an EIGHTH issue done, bu ti dont know what happened to it... oh well, i remember what i had done so its not a problem  ;)

          to "tease" a little... rose and charley to go dinner!  :)

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
            Timmy,
            Hmm, I thought there was going to be more Thorn and Golden Eagle interaction first.  I wonder if Thorn has penetrated Golden Eagle's secret identity?  I guess I should have asked that after chapter 6:  did Thorn invite CHARLEY, or did Thorn invite GOLDEN EAGLE?
            Thanks,
            Darci

            Yeh at least til I get home tonight and write more lol.  I actually had an EIGHTH issue done, but I don't know what happened to it... oh well, I remember what I had done so it's not a problem  ;)

            To "tease" a little... Rose and Charley go to dinner!  :)

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
              In a message dated 9/2/08 5:51:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, darci386@... writes:

              Timmy,

              Hmm, I thought there was going to be more Thorn and Golden Eagle interaction first.  I wonder if Thorn has penetrated Golden Eagle's secret identity?  I guess I should have asked that after chapter 6:  did Thorn invite CHARLEY, or did Thorn invite GOLDEN EAGLE?
              Thanks,
              Darci

              puttin the horse before the cart there darci  ;)

              TImmy!

            • szink22446@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
                Thanks for a fun part to read, Timmy.  Again, I think maybe you're
                making it a bit to simple for Thorn to appear if Rose isn't supposed
                to know about her harder 'sister'.

                SteveZ