Re: Superman Returns!

  • Joel Cerio
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
      I also enjoyed the little nods to those earlier films. One example
      was when Clark said "swell". Another was when Lois asked how
      many "f"s were in a word that didn't contain any. A third occurred
      when Superman blew out Lois' cigarette and lectured her briefly about
      the dangers of smoking. I liked that just a hint of the "Can you
      read my mind?" music was played during Clark and Lois' flight scene,
      reminding us all of their first time flying together in the original
      movie. Also, it was funny to see Lex with another ditzy girlfriend.

      Joel

      --- In dccomicscharacters@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J."
      <lightoller_ch@...> wrote:

      > sonofagun.
      >
      > It picked up exactly where Superman II kind of left off.
      >
      > Even had the John Williams score, which I didn't know it would do.
      >
      > Cameos by NOel Neill and Jack Larson.
      >
      > And Brandon Routh got the job because he SOUNDED like Chris Reeve.
      > But he certainly wasn't as big and imposing as Reeve was. I
      remember
      > watching Superman and going 'how could they not notice how large
      > Clark is?' Routh didn't have that same presence.
      >
      > Pity they didn't name Lois' kid after Jerome Siegel and Jerry
      > Shuster; Jerry instead of Jason.
      >
      > How much formation of the fortress of solitude crystals can you
      look
      > at?
      >
      > Eva Marie Saint (Martha Kent here) would win her Oscar at the same
      > time as Marlon Brando won his first Oscar.
      >
      > Really offered nothing new to the Superman story that was
      introduced
      > by Salkind, but it was fun to see the movies from twenty or thirty
      > years ago picked up so well.
      >
      > --- In dccomicscharacters@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Cerio"
      > <joelcerio@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks about the new Superman
      > film.
      > > I had no idea what to expect when I entered the theater, but I
      > walked
      > > out feeling really good about it. It was a fresh take on
      > Superman's
      > > story, rather than a re-hash of everything we have seen before.
      > The
      > > cool thing is that this picks up where previous Superman films
      > starring
      > > Christopher Reeves left off. It pays tribute to those movies
      while
      > re-
      > > creating Superman for a new generation of fans. In my opinion,
      it
      > was
      > > a film that needed to be made, and one that is definitely worth
      > seeing.
      > >
      > > Joel

    • Tony
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
        Just saw it today. What can I add that hasn't been said? Well, I
        thought Routh was a very good choice to continue the chars of
        CK/Superman without trying too hard and being cheesy. I had issues
        about the costume, new 'S', cape..I now thought they my complaints
        were trivial. The score was great, can't beat WIlliams' scoring.
        The 'cameo' of Brando as Jor'El was nice too.

        Didn't Supes say the exact same thing to LL in this movie about
        planes? ( I seem to remember CR saying the dialogue to Kidder just
        after the helicopter scene.)

        A brief aside - Has anyone seen it and imagined the actors from SV in
        the roles? I sure did when they showed young CK.

        Just my two cents.

        > I also enjoyed the little nods to those earlier films. One example
        > was when Clark said "swell". Another was when Lois asked how
        > many "f"s were in a word that didn't contain any. A third occurred
        > when Superman blew out Lois' cigarette and lectured her briefly
        about
        > the dangers of smoking. I liked that just a hint of the "Can you
        > read my mind?" music was played during Clark and Lois' flight scene,
        > reminding us all of their first time flying together in the original
        > movie. Also, it was funny to see Lex with another ditzy girlfriend.
        >
        > Joel
      • Joel Cerio
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
          I remember Christopher Reeve telling Margot Kidder that line about
          planes being the safest form of travel. The cape did seem kind of
          dark, but I liked it anyway. I'm glad that they stuck with the
          original score and having Marlon Brando was another really nice
          touch, kind of like a bridge between the earlier movies and this one.

          Joel

          --- In dccomicscharacters@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <jtkirk35@...>
          wrote:

          > Just saw it today. What can I add that hasn't been said? Well, I
          > thought Routh was a very good choice to continue the chars of
          > CK/Superman without trying too hard and being cheesy. I had issues
          > about the costume, new 'S', cape..I now thought they my complaints
          > were trivial. The score was great, can't beat WIlliams' scoring.
          > The 'cameo' of Brando as Jor'El was nice too.
          >
          > Didn't Supes say the exact same thing to LL in this movie about
          > planes? ( I seem to remember CR saying the dialogue to Kidder just
          > after the helicopter scene.)
          >
          > A brief aside - Has anyone seen it and imagined the actors from SV
          in
          > the roles? I sure did when they showed young CK.
          >
          > Just my two cents.
          >

          > > I also enjoyed the little nods to those earlier films. One
          example
          > > was when Clark said "swell". Another was when Lois asked how
          > > many "f"s were in a word that didn't contain any. A third
          occurred
          > > when Superman blew out Lois' cigarette and lectured her briefly
          > about
          > > the dangers of smoking. I liked that just a hint of the "Can you
          > > read my mind?" music was played during Clark and Lois' flight
          scene,
          > > reminding us all of their first time flying together in the
          original
          > > movie. Also, it was funny to see Lex with another ditzy
          girlfriend.

          > > Joel

        • Richard J.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
            I didn't.

            I recalled the young man from the first Superman movie tho.

            It would have been very good had they gotten Welling and perhaps
            O'Toole or Schnieder to appear.

            Or they could have just gone with Welling, even.

            So much homage was given to Reeve, Singer really should have
            considered how much Smallville will be held up to SR.

            --- In dccomicscharacters@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <jtkirk35@...> wrote:
            Has anyone imagined the actors from Smallville in the roles? I sure
            did when they showed young CK.