Re: [DAVIS HERITAGE] John Davis (1599-1646) York County, Virginia

  • Tim Smith
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 12, 2003
      Wow! That's weird! My dad's name is John Davis and his brothers name is Dave Davis.
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 12, 2003
        scott i wolud be interested in the info you found on aaron and sarah davis my
        sarah davis was a smith before she married my g grandad brenda
        casper1557@...

      • Pat and Clem Stephens
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 12, 2003
          I wish we could just say we were all related. It would make it so much simpler. To the person that posted there relative lived near a mountain in Tenn. I have a William Davis born 1750 in Brooke, Virginia. He married Rebecca Thorley. He had a son, William Davis, born 1771 on Buffalo Mountain, on the Washington/ Carter County Tennessee line. He had a son Daniel, born 1790, Washington Co., TN. This is my line of Davis's. He married Hannah Stoneman who was a quaker. He was a lay methodist preacher. As far as my mother knows, she is 78, (and her mother was a Davis), there weren't any native americans on the Davis side. Daniel Davis had a son James Rollo Stoneman Davis born Sept. 23, 1832 in Sand Creek area, Shelby county, IL. He had a son William Jasper Grainger Davis born Oct 1856, Sand Creek area Shelby county IL. That is my mother's grandfather. I have a pencil drawn picture of him standing by his mail wagon. He was one of the first rural mail carriers in Shelby County IL.

          Pat and Clem Stephens

        • Carole Phillips
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 28, 2003
            Brenda,
            I have a Sarah Davis who was also a Smith before she married into the Davis family. My Sarah was married to William John Davis and had several children: Misouria Mae (my grandmother) born 4 June 1886, Callahan H., John Clell, George, William Thomas, Clifford Reub, Mary, Ella Elizabeth, and Sarah. I have some or little information on their offspring, but he had 2 known brothers: Edward and Granville. Edward is burried in Sioto burial grounds in Ohio and Granville lived in Musick KY. I have a copy of Edward's Obit. We also have native american blood, but I can't seem to find out what. I have only picked out several tribes in that area in which they were living and to where we have some documents of what we would call open accounts or credit and Gr Grandpa William was making payments to people. Powhattan being one of them. But I have no proof as of yet. The farthest my sister and I have been able to get back to, is the 1880 census where Willian Davis and wife Elizabeth were in Ohio showing their parents birthplace as VA. At that time, they had only 5 of their children. So, I too, am interested in perhaps your relation to the Davis family along with Scott.
            Carole Phillips cep@...
            scott i wolud be interested in the info you found on aaron and sarah davis my
            sarah davis was a smith before she married my g grandad brenda
            casper1557@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Carole Phillips

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 29, 2003
                carole my sarah had 3 brothers riley george and david watson riley and sarah
                were born in arkansas and george and david were born in illinois brenda

              • casper1557@wmconnect.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 29, 2003
                  carole my smiths goes like this sarah dixon born 1819 northcarolinia married
                  john parson born in alabama they had 2 children mary b 1843 j thomas b 1853 he
                  married eliza henshaw aug 1881 they were both born in alabama mary married a
                  smith they had 3 children riley b 1871 sarah b 1873 both in arknasas george b
                  1875 in illinois dont know what happened to him then i find mary parson smith
                  married to a wd watson in 1876 they had david watson sarah married aaron
                  davis 1888 they had 13 children my grandfather was one of the 13 they were married
                  in illinois that is as far as i can find i do know by hear say and a picture
                  of sarahs children we have a lot of indian in our family also i was always
                  told blackfoot cherokee and arahapo im not for sure on that either i have looked
                  on most all the rolls but i find familiar names but havent had a chance to
                  really check into it but plan to real soon like tommarow thanks brenda

                • Carole Phillips
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 30, 2003
                    Hi Brenda!
                    Well, it was worth the try. Mine came from the VA and WVA areas. Definitely Native American decent. They lived in KY for a while and then moved to Southern Ohio.
                    Carole
                    carole my sarah had 3 brothers riley george and david watson riley and sarah
                    were born in arkansas and george and david were born in illinois brenda

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • woodyjk549
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 7, 2003
                      --- In davisheritage@yahoogroups.com, "sadavis197133"
                      <sadavis197133@y...> wrote:
                      >Scott,
                      I am new to this web site--but I certainly am enjoying it.
                      My line of Davis' follows yours alittle. Brief rundown

                      #1 Wm Davies 1640 #2 Wm Davis 1663 #3 John Davis(Rev) 1692
                      #4 Capt. (Rev) Thomas W. Davis 1719 #5 Nathan Davis, Sr. (Rev)
                      #6 Stephen C. Davis 1781 #7 Nathan Gifford Davis 1814 #8 Martin Van
                      Buren Davis 1840 #9 Gifford Nathan Davis 1873 #10 Hayward F. Davis
                      1926 #11 me and my siblings.

                      I was lucky enough to know about the Seventh Day Baptist and was
                      given web site address to "Desendents of Seventh Day Baptist, William
                      Davis" on Rootsweb.com.

                      Have you checked out this info? And so does it seem to go along
                      with your info?

                      Have a great week-end!

                      Judy

                    • bessiems@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 9, 2003
                        I descend through John Davis and Dorothy
                        Ransom--through their son, William Ransom Davis who
                        settled in South Carolina. Any connections?

                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree