Re: Faramir/Keold

  • Sorcha
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In darknessofthering@yahoogroups.com, Sorcha <sorcha@m...> wrote:
      > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:36:33 EDT, Raskonikov5@a... wrote:
      > > OOC: I am leaving on vacation. You can do as we spoke in
      > > private email with Faramir. Be back next Wednesday.
      > > Layne/Faramir
      >
      > OOC: Enjoy your holiday!! I hope I can get them where you want
      > them to be.
      >
      > IC:
      > Keold watched how his Captain walked away and wondered what was
      > going on here. But then there were matters that he should take
      > care of. He left the 6th ring and walked towards the soldiers
      > quarters to bring the bad news to the widowers of Barad's men.

      OOC: I meant widows instead of widowers here.. *sigh*

      Sorcha
      --
      "Do not throw the arrow which will return against you."
      -- Kurdish Proverb
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2004
        Fox circled back around the mountains with Dengwen. They soon would reach the other side. They then would have to ride back up the other side of the mountain to where the path of Moria came out. It would be about a day's and a half ride. She hoped to be there before the Fellowship got out or if they get out. Asroth left a trail of blood behind. She grimaced to the fact of leaving a trail for someone to follow for she was tired of interefence. But no matter she would dispose of them as well as the rest. She flipped her dagger about, reflecting the moon's light. She sinisterly smiled. "Hope they dont have any goblin problems."

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Sorcha
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 2, 2004
          Faramir stared at the map of Ithilien in his own quarters. He
          knew he had to change into his ranger gear soon, but he could
          not let go of the map. What was he missing here? Why did it not
          make sense to him? Why were the Haradrim all of a sudden so
          active? How on Middle Earth could a patrol of his own men end up
          in an ambush on its own territory? The questions raced through
          his mind and he regretted that he did not ask Keold more about
          this situation. With a deep sigh he changed his clothes and sat
          down at the table again.

          "Orcs were active there, Haradrim invading from the South." His
          finger tried to follow the patterns on the map. After some hours
          he gave up, wrapped the map and put it into the scroll case. It
          was almost time to leave. He slung the bags on his back and
          glanced through his bedroom one more time. He had lingered
          around here long enough and left his quarters to meet his
          lieutenant at the main gate.

          **

          Sorcha
          --
          "So... this is the answer to all the riddles. Here in the wild I have you. Two haflings and a host of men at my call. And the Ring of power within my
          grasp. A chance for Faramir, captain of Gondor, to show his quality."

          - Faramir, The Two Towers

          http://www.misarray.info
        • Sorcha
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 5, 2004
            OOC: Yes, another post is coming. Sorry. I have been wrapped up
            in something else this weekend.

            Sorcha
            --
            "Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow
            growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation."

            http://www.misarray.info/
          • Sorcha
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 7, 2004
              On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:48:57 +0200, Sorcha wrote:

              > OOC: Yes, another post is coming. Sorry. I have been wrapped
              > up in something else this weekend.

              Sorry if it is a bit long. I meant to spread it out over more
              posts.... but it was worth the wait..

              IC:

              previously in this thread:
              > "Orcs were active there, Haradrim invading from the South."
              > His finger tried to follow the patterns on the map. After some
              > hours he gave up, wrapped the map and put it into the scroll
              > case.
              > It was almost time to leave. He slung the bags on his back and
              > glanced through his bedroom one more time. He had lingered
              > around here long enough and left his quarters to meet his
              > lieutenant at the main gate.

              Keold whistled a merry tune while he entered the garrison to see
              if there was some personal correspondence and to collect some
              money to obtain some food for himself and his men. He ignored
              all the glares directed at him and approached Perngarn the
              bookkeeper.

              "Well Keold. I haven't seen you for quite a while." The man
              turned around and reached for something under the counter. "I
              see, at least not for 6 months. Any idea when your pal Barad
              will come and collect his coin?"

              "Barad is currently too occupied to come and collect his
              letters. Maybe I can pass them on to him?"

              "Sure as long if I can get rid of them." Perngarn replied and
              handed Keold a pouch with coins. "I assume that one month will
              do?"

              "That is more then enough. Thank you." Keold replied and left
              the garrison. He looked up to the sky and noticed that the time
              was 4 hours past noon. 'Just a quick stop at the tavern and then
              I am off again.' He passed the fourth ring and rounded the
              corner. His eye caught the skyline of the East and he stopped at
              the parapet. 'What was going on in Mordor?' Keold hoped that his
              captain had an answer. Keold had heard the stories of old times,
              but this could not be the case.. "Could it?" He asked himself
              out loud. In a way he wanted to know and yet not. He was closer
              to that forsaken land that he'd ever wished for. For the Steward
              and Gondor men would exclaim. Nay for him that was no longer the
              case. For his Captain and Gondor. That was enough for him.

              The sound of a busy street was heading his way. It was good to
              be back in the City. The sounds, noises, fragrances and people
              all that he had missed. Nature had his charm, that was indeed
              the case, but the nature of Ithilien was declining. What once
              had great renown for its nature had become barren woodland?

              Before Keold realized he was at the door of the Staggering Orc.
              A broad smile graced his face when he heard how the owner
              welcomed him. "Gracious Valar! Keold I haven't seen you for a
              while."

              "I know Meg, sorry. I should not have left such a fair lady of
              Minas Tirith so alone during these months." Keold flirted.

              Meg smiled and inquired softly: "Are you staying for the night
              then?"

              "Unfortunately I can not my dear, I need some of your delicious
              pastries and then my Captain wants to return to Ithilien.. I see
              you have been faring well?" Keold replied with sadness in his
              eyes.

              "Hey whench, what does it take to get some service here!" A man
              from the crowd shouted. Keold stretched his back, turned around
              and walked straight to whom those words had come from.

              "Keold no, It is ok." Meg said while she tried to stay him.

              "It is not ok Meg. Now fella," Keold said while he pulled the
              man up at his collar, "you are going to apologise to this lady.
              Now!"

              The poor man, most likely a carpenter of something like that,
              turned pale when he noticed the clear threat coming from the
              tall man's face. Keold let him go and threw him backwards in
              chair, but kept his gaze fixed on the man in question. "Well?"

              "I am sorry milady, pppleaase accept my apologies" With one
              final look Keold turned around towards Meg and neglected the
              man. "Now, how about those pastries."

              She laughed out loud and kissed him on his cheek. "It is good to
              have you back Keold, even if it is for some hours."

              "It is always good to be home Meg. And one day I come back to
              take upon your offer." Keold replied with mirth in his eyes.

              "I will never understand why Denethor has sent you forth from
              this city Keold. We need a good knight like you."

              "I serve his son. That should be enough for now. Maybe one day
              my honour is restored and Minas Tirith will see me return. But
              for now Faramir will be heading to the Gate so, if you please
              would?" Keold asked politely.

              "Of course, please wait a minute." Keold watched how she
              disappeared in the kitchen and glanced around the tavern. It was
              an establishment well known for its hospitality and food. During
              his days as a knight he and his mates came here often. They
              always kept an eye on how the customers behaved and set things
              right when it got out of control. It saddened him that this was
              no longer the case. 'New times, new traditions.'

              He waited patiently until Meg returned with some saddlebags. "In
              here are your pies and some water skins filled with mead for
              your men."

              "That is more than I actually had asked for." He smiled and
              hugged the innkeeper. "Thank you." He gave her the full pouch
              and said with a wink. "I hope this is enough for a while to pay
              in advance for all you have to offer."

              "Some things I offer freely Keold." Meg replied, clearly
              offended. Keold laughed and said: "You have better use of the
              money then I do. Take care and I hope to return alive. One day."
              He gathered the saddlebags and left the tavern. Now all he had
              to do was fetch his horse and meet his Lord down at the main
              gate. How hard could that be?

              Within half an hour Keold indeed reached the main gate and
              noticed how his captain awaited him.

              ***

              Sorcha

              --
              "Everyone is necessarily the hero of his own life story."
              -- John Barth

              http://www.misarray.info
            • Sorcha
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 18, 2004
                On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:56:51 +0200, Sorcha wrote:

                OOC: we are ready to get rolling people!

                > He gathered the saddlebags and left the tavern. Now all he had
                > to do was fetch his horse and meet his Lord down at the main
                > gate. How hard could that be?
                > Within half an hour Keold indeed reached the main gate and
                > noticed how his captain awaited him.

                Just before Keold teamed up with his captain a little girl ran
                towards him. Her innocent smile touched him deeply and in time
                he could rein his horse.

                "Careful missy!"

                "You are daddy's boss aren't you?"

                "Yes lass that is me and over there is my boss."

                "Could you give daddy something from me?"

                "Of course I can."

                "But you have to get down."

                With a smile on his face the tall ranger dismounted and lowered
                himself on one knee. "So what is it lass."

                Shyly the girl bent in and whispered in his ear.

                "That is all?" With a smile he gathered the girl in his embrace
                and cuddled her with affection. After a minute he broke off the
                embrace and said: "Ok lass, I have to go."

                "You promise to give daddy this?"

                "I will." And he watched how she hopped off. He caught the
                glance of Faramir and sighed deeply.

                **

                Sorcha

                --
                "The cat could very well be man's best friend but would never stop to admitting it."
                - Doug Larson

                http://www.misarray.info/
              • Raskonikov5@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 18, 2004
                  Faramir was bothered by many things and his expression showed it.  He felt something akin to depression, but he had to think clearly and he knew he could not let his mental state get the better of him.  His mind would probably start to clear when he was out in the wilderness. It usually did. He wondered was it because he felt almost at one with the woodlands or because his father's shadow hung over him in the city.

                  As Faramir turned the corner leading away from his quarters, he heard steps and knew that they belonged t the one person he did not want to see.

                  "Hello Father," he said dutifully.

                  "Heading off then, are we?" Denathor looked at him inquisitively.

                  "I am."

                  "Where will you go?"

                  "I was planning to go to Emyn Arnen," Faramir said, equally dry. It struck him odd that his father wanted to know where he was going, and boldly he asked, "Why?"

                  "So now," Denethor smirked, this eyes growing cold, "you question me?"

                  "I was merely...."

                  "It is not your part to question me, Faramir, but I to question you. Am I not to know about the movements of the men under command of Gondor, or are you keeping secrets even from me?"

                  Faramir was taken aback by the viciousness in his father's voice. Yes, he could be sarcastic and downright mean, but today he sounded vicious.

                  "No, Father, I would not do such a thing, it is just that you have not shown much interest in what we do before...I thought maybe you had something you wanted me to do."

                  "Do? What could you do? Stop an invasion from Mordor, put down the dark lord himself? All you have to do is keep the borders from being attacked, and even this I do not suspect of you. You were not destined for greatness, Faramir, which is why you serve me better outside of Minas Tirith.  Never have you shown me incentive, greatness, nor quality of this sort. I told you before, only your brother can save us from what is to come.  All I ask of you, if you and that grangy band of rangers if you can manage to accomplish it, is to hold the borders, though I suspect that you will not manage even in this simple task."

                  "Simple?" Faramir swallowed hard after his father's mental onslaught.  He had to take a few deep breaths to remain calm.

                  "Perhaps for some, like Boromir, it is a simple task. Obviously, you do not see it as such." Denethor stood there, now back to having no expression at all.

                  "There is much activity in Ithilien," Faramir said as if he were reporting to a stranger. He felt like he was.  "The Haradrim are moving and there have been reports of Orcs.  If you believe that Boromir or the armies of Gondor can do a better job, perhaps you would like to send for him, or they?" Faramir regretted the comment as soon as it left his lips, but he had reached his breaking point. He braced for the barrage that was sure to come.

                  "Insolent!" Denthor stormed. "How can two brothers be so alike and so different? For that remark, I should have you thrown in the dungeons...but no, you go to Ithilien and wait for Boromir's return. Be gone with you at once."

                  "As you wish." Faramir, trying to mask his hurt at being brushed off like flies on cattle, and talked to like the lowliest servent of Mordor, bowed his head some, and hurried away.

                  Once at the great gate, he stopped and scanned the area for Keold. He was glad he had Keold to keep him company out to Emyn Arnen. He knew that Keold had no great love for the Steward, and somehow he knew how Faramir felt about his father as well....to a point.  There were those who thought he hated his father and sometimes he felt as if he did, but the truth was he loved him, and he could not understand the treatment he received.  Many time he believed his father and questioned his own competence and self worth. Other times he felt deep down that he could accomplish many things.....

                  he caught sight of Keold dismounting his horse and speaking to a child. He saw Keold then hug the child as she whispered something in his ear. So sweet, so sweet and innocent, and clueless as what might come to pass if Gondor fell to the enemy.

                  This is who Faramir fought for, though he also fought for something else, his father's respect and maybe even his own which his father had stripped form him.

                  He tried a bit of a smile as Keold came towards him, but looking at Keold's expression he knew that Keold could tell it was forced.

                  "Are you ready then?" Faramir asked, glancing at the bags Keold carried. He admired the Knight-turned-ranger, for his always thought of his men.

                  In a message dated 9/18/2004 8:57:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sorcha@... writes:

                  On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:56:51 +0200, Sorcha wrote:

                  OOC: we are ready to get rolling people!

                  >He gathered the saddlebags and left the tavern. Now all he had
                  >to do was fetch his horse and meet his Lord down at the main
                  >gate. How hard could that be?
                  >Within half an hour Keold indeed reached the main gate and
                  >noticed how his captain awaited him.

                  Just before Keold teamed up with his captain a little girl ran
                  towards him. Her innocent smile touched him deeply and in time
                  he could rein his horse.

                  "Careful missy!"

                  "You are daddy's boss aren't you?"

                  "Yes lass that is me and over there is my boss."

                  "Could you give daddy something from me?"

                  "Of course I can."

                  "But you have to get down."

                  With a smile on his face the tall ranger dismounted and lowered
                  himself on one knee. "So what is it lass."

                  Shyly the girl bent in and whispered in his ear.

                  "That is all?" With a smile he gathered the girl in his embrace
                  and cuddled her with affection. After a minute he broke off the
                  embrace and said: "Ok lass, I have to go."

                  "You promise to give daddy this?"

                  "I will." And he watched how she hopped off. He caught the
                  glance of Faramir and sighed deeply.

                • Phedre
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                    OOC: I've been ill the past days, sorry to have kept you waiting.

                    IC

                    > He tried a bit of a smile as Keold came towards him, but looking at
                    > Keold's expression he knew that Keold could tell it was forced.
                    >
                    > "Are you ready then?" Faramir asked, glancing at the bags Keold carried.
                    > He admired the Knight-turned-ranger, for his always thought of his men.

                    "Aye sire," Keold replied and ignored the rumbling sound of his stomach.
                    'Later, tonight, when the Captain is safe with his men.' He promised to
                    himself.

                    He signalled the groom to bring his Captains horse. Just before they
                    passed the gate it was opened for a large group of knights who just had
                    returned from their daily practice. Keold recognised some of those faces,
                    but the years of discipline resulted in no eye-contact at all. 'Boromir's
                    men, I could have been one of them. But I am better off serving Faramir.'
                    He mused softly to himself. No regrets, no turning back.

                    From the corner of his eye he watched how his captain was ready to leave
                    and gave his horse the signal to ride forwards through the gates. With an
                    experienced eye he scanned the fields of Pellenor quickly and signalled
                    that they were set to go.

                    **
                    Sorcha
                  • Sorcha
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                      On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:28:23 +0200 (CEST), Sorcha wrote:

                      OOC with permission of Faramir's character master we continue ;)

                      > From the corner of his eye he watched how his captain was
                      > ready to leave and gave his horse the signal to ride forwards
                      > through the gates. With an experienced eye Keold scanned the
                      > fields of Pellenor quickly and signalled that they were set to
                      >go.
                      > **

                      Keold took the lead while the two rangers galloped over the
                      fields of Pellenor like if someone was chasing them. He glanced
                      sideways and noticed the smile on his captain's face. 'It was
                      like if a big burden fell of his shoulders,' Keold thought to
                      himself. They just had passed the Causeway fords and rode
                      towards Osgiliath. There was the bridge that provided fast and
                      easy access to Ithilien. When he passed through there this
                      morning all seemed fine. If it came to the worst both would take
                      another passage, but there was no time to waste. They slowed
                      their speed and greeted the men of the garrison that guarded the
                      city.

                      Both gave their horses some rest and Keold asked the question
                      that had not left his mind before they passed the Gate. In an
                      easy walk they crossed the bridge over the Anduin. "Faramir,
                      please forgive me my straightforwardness, but what happened
                      during your stay in the city that made you a man I hardly could
                      recognise? Were there bad tidings from Boromir?" Keold tried
                      hold back his sarcasm when he mentioned Boromir's name. Keold
                      directed his horse off the road and took a sharp left turn that
                      would lead them into the woodlands of Emyn Arnen.. his base.

                      **

                      Sorcha
                      --
                      "One man may hit the mark, another blunder; but heed not these distinctions. Only from the alliance of the one, working with and through the other,
                      are great things born."

                      http://www.misarray.info/
                    • Raskonikov5@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 2, 2004
                        Faramir was content riding away from the city, though he loved it so, but as of late Father's comments had gotten worse.  He was more cynical of everything. Though Denethor made it no secret that Boromir was his favorite and he was disappointed in Faramir, for the most part, Faramir was used to it, and had learned to accept it. But lately, Denethor seemed to have it in for him. Yes, he had been sent to the woods long before, but something was going on. His Father had taken to spending great amounts of time alone in his room, after which he emerged with a foreboding look. Then he sent Boromir to Rivendale. Faramir had offered to go (another chance to get away from his Father among other things) but Denethor was against it. He thinks I am incompetent, Faramir had thought, but he also sensed something deeper. It was as if he did not want to give Faramir the chance to succeed at anything. He had been there when they defended Osgiliath, but Boromir got all of the credit. Denethor refused to, or simply did not want to believe that Faramir could do any good. Faramir had just begun to understand that his father did not want him to do anything spectacular. He sometimes wondered if his father even feared him. Feared his sympathy, thoughtfulness and intuition. Faramir liked to think, Boromir liked to act. Perhaps his father knew how he sensed things. Did Denethor have something to hide?

                        Looking towards Osgiliath, Faramir let all thoughts of his father fall by the wayside. Soon he would be in the woodland that was Ithilien, a place he had grown to love. The thought of it made him smile. He had been sent there as a sort of punishment (what he did wrong, he did not know), but to him, there was no place else he would rather be.
                        Now there were strange happenings occurring in Ithilien. The Haradrim were crossing the land, there had been some reports of Orcs. Spys or scouts, most likely. The presence of the dark lord just over the border in Mordor was becoming more ominous. It was as if you could feel the darkness hanging in the air. Things were amiss in Middle Earth. Something was about to happen. The came to Osgiliath so that their horses could eat and drink. Later, walking quietly across the bridge over the River Anduin, was when Keold asked his question of Faramir.

                        ("Faramir,
                        please forgive me my straightforwardness, but what happened
                        during your stay in the city that made you a man I hardly could
                        recognise? Were there bad tidings from Boromir?")

                        Faramir paused upon the bridge and walked to the side looking down to the flowing Anduin.

                        "Boromir has sent no tidings," he said slowly. "He has not sent any word since he left Gondor."

                        Faramir said nothing more for a long moment, then he looked up from the river, turning his head toward first Gondor, then Mordor.

                        "It is nothing, Keold," he said, but his face told another story.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 2, 2004
                          On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 15:03:49 EDT, Raskonikov5@... wrote:
                          OOC: good to have you back!!

                          > Faramir said nothing more for a long moment, then he looked
                          > up from the river, turning his head toward first Gondor, then
                          > Mordor. "It is nothing, Keold," he said, but his face told
                          > another story.

                          Keold could tell by the way he responded he was not telling the
                          truth. He reined back his horse to a stand still and presented
                          Faramir a sceptic look. He was so fed up with it. This was not
                          the Faramir he knew for years. Something was up and it better
                          had to come out now before they would meet Barad.

                          "Faramir, we will enter the hills of Emyn Arnen soon. Soon we
                          will be in earshot of my men, the best men you can wish for in
                          battle because they would be more then willing to die for you. I
                          have fought for and with you for many years now. I know your
                          vices and virtues, but I am not going to present a captain to
                          them who holds up a mask towards his own lieutenants.. They are
                          not stupid and I am not easily fooled as well. So before we
                          continue with this charade: what is really going on?"

                          He held his stare at Faramir for a moment and shortly wondered
                          if he really had gone to far.. again. 'Me and my big mouth,' he
                          scolded himself silently. 'One day he would get banned from
                          Gondor for that.'

                          **
                          Sorcha

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 2, 2004
                            Faramir raised both eyebrows, looking at Keold with slight amusement.

                            "So demanding of you, Keold," he exclaimed, but it was obvious he was not angry.

                            "What is going on? I wish I knew the answers," Faramir sighed, seeming to relax. He gestured in the direction of Mordor.

                            "The dark lord is stirring and all over the land there are strange happenings. My brother has gone off and we have had no word of him since. These things alone are disturbing, but you asked what is really going on."

                            Faramir paused again, looking thoughtful.

                            "My father has gotten worse," he finally said, "he has taken to hiding himself away for hours and when he emerges, he is in a more than somber mood. It is as if he has gone mad, but not quite.  There is nothing that I can do, Keold, to win his approval, and he waits for Boromir, focused only on his return as he had the power to save all of Gondor from complete and utter destruction. I am not so stupid that I do not know that the darkness of Mordor encases the land, and that the dark lord prepares for war.  My father has put all his faith in Boromir, and Gondor's defenses are weakened because he pays not attention to what the armies can do now to prepare. Nothing, he thinks can save us, but Boromir. The defense of the city, should it come to that, cannot be left to Boromir when he has not yet even returned. I fear that if we are attacked, if Osgiliath is attacked, my father will not make the right decisions. It is as if he has given up all hope but the hope of Boromir's return. I also sense he is hiding something from me, but I have not guessed what this could be. Our conversations of late have been one sided lectures on my incompetence and he takes every opportunity to let me know that he is not pleased with my services.  You are not Boromir, he tells me, as if it were a fault. Why his animosity towards me has reached such a state, I do not know. Perhaps it is the fact that I am here and Boromir is not. I offered to go to Rivendale, but he would not have it.  It was too great a task for me. This is what he thinks of me, Keold, and I have done nothing to justify his thoughts. At least I do not believe that I have...he tries to shake my confidence, but in this I will not falter. Now that we have left the city, I am sure I will be quite myself again. The men need not know of my personal difficulties with my father. Now is the time for me to put aside all thoughts of his behaviors, and concentrate on Ithilien, and the defense of Gondor. I will leave my father's feelings on the other side of the river. Speak of this to no one. I would not even have told you, save for the fact that you seemed more than concerned. Before we can make any decisions about the fate of Gondor, let us return to the men, and find if there have been any new reports. I will be fine by the time we get there, this I promise you, and there will be no need to wear a mask in front of the men. Come, we have tarried here already to long."

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 3, 2004
                              On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 02:14:20 EDT, Raskonikov5@... wrote:
                              <snip>

                              > Before we can make any decisions about the fate of Gondor,
                              > let us return to the men, and find if there have been any new
                              > reports. I will be fine by the time we get there, this I
                              > promise you, and there will be no need to wear a mask in
                              > front of the men. Come, we have tarried here already to long."

                              Keold waited a minute before he replied. "You know Faramir. It
                              makes you wonder sometimes. I got my fathers approval and even
                              more when I became a knight of the citadel, but it was just as
                              easily taken away when he heard about my career shuffle. From
                              appraisal to denouncement. It can be easily achieved. The shame
                              I brought to my family... Why do we strive for approval when it
                              can be whisked away so easily? Isn't much more important to win
                              the respect and loyalty of those who are willing to defend you?
                              Or Gondor for that matter?" He paused for a moment. "But
                              Faramir, thou father has always been sharp of mind and tongue.
                              Do you really think that ..." Keold paused again for what he
                              knew he was about to say might be seen as treason, "that your
                              fathers state of mind is the cause of Gondor's weak defences? If
                              you say that the Dark Lord is moving, why do the Haradrim invade
                              with so much force and armies? Haven't they given us border
                              troubles over centuries? Why move into Poros with so much force?
                              What I really find awkward in the latest attack is the way they
                              ambushed our men. It worries me that we might have a spy amongst
                              us."

                              Keold moved closer and said softly. "For what it is worth
                              Faramir. I am glad that you did not go to Rivendell. You are my
                              captain and yes, liege lord. More then Denethor would ever be to
                              me. I would have not done the same if Boromir had commanded the
                              rangers. In you we trust while we fight and die at the Dark
                              Lord's doorstep. Nay Faramir, we do have faith in you. I leave
                              it up to you if you want something you might never get or take
                              what we are giving you. Sometimes what you need is just under
                              your nose you know." With a reassuring smile he patted Faramir
                              on his back and moved forward into the woods that would lead
                              them further into the Hills of Emyn Arnen.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 4, 2004
                                Faramir, saying nothing, watched Keold move toward the wood, and he gave one last look into the river before turning and following behind Keold.  Faramir had mixed feelings, and was deep in thought. He knew the men trusted him, would die for him, and it did mean a lot to him.  He breathed in the smell of the woods. he no longer considered his post as being a punishment. In fact he would have liked to live the rest of his days in Ithilien when Boromir became Steward, if it ever came to that.  It was peaceful where they now walked, but not far in the back of his mind, Faramir knew it was not so elsewhere in the wood.
                                Had he told Keold that he thought Lord Denethor was responsible for Gondor's weaknesses? He had not meant it quite that way, just that his Father's judgment seemed to be muffled by something. Faramir wondered what Keold meant by a spy. Who? The men all seemed loyal enough. He himself had not noticed anything out of the ordinary that would lead him to believe it were so, but how did the enemy come to ambush the rangers?  They must have known something, for it was no easy task to ambush the Rangers of Ithilien, Faramir thought, but how? How did they know?
                                And then there was the matter of the Dark Lord. He did not know why or how the darkness in Mordor was stirring, he just knew...but there had been signs. Boromir's departure to Rivendale for what his Father deemed so important, Gandalf the Grey's coming and goings in the city over the past few years, his father's strange rantings...he did not know quite how to connect them, but in his heart he felt they were connected. It was a feeling  that told him that the Dark Lord was up to something. His thoughts returned to the spy. Now he quickly caught up to Keold.

                                "Spy, you say? Does thou know more than you spoke of this to me? Perhaps you may have an indication of who this may be? This is a great concern to me and must be dealt with accordingly. I will not have my men cut down through our own people. Whoever it is that sells us to the enemy shall receive just punishment, unless...they be made to perform a more useful task."

                                Again Faramir's thoughts drifted, then he looked again to Keold,

                                "Tell me, what are your suspicions?"

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 4, 2004
                                  On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:06:24 EDT, Raskonikov5@... wrote:

                                  > Again Faramir's thoughts drifted, then he looked again to
                                  > Keold, "Tell me, what are your suspicions?"

                                  "It is hard to put it down into words, let alone hard facts. It
                                  is an invisible enemy we are dealing with and yet not. When we
                                  found Barad and the other two they were all pretty shaken by the
                                  events. Later, when Barad was able to talk he told me what
                                  happened. They were not near the main road at all. Although they
                                  were preparing for a patrol. From what I heard they came from
                                  behind.. and they hit fast and hard.. like if they knew where
                                  and how to hit. It worries me. He lost a lot of men that day.
                                  Maybe we should make new bases, changethe formation of the
                                  groups, at least talk to our couriers. Maybe they have heard
                                  unusual things." Keold knew that they would pass the first watch
                                  soon. "Maybe we should discuss this with Barad and a map. We
                                  should get there within an hour or so."

                                  **

                                  Sorcha

                                  --
                                  "Research is the process of going up alleys to see if they are blind."
                                  -- Marson Bates

                                  http://www.misarray.info
                                • Raskonikov5@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 5, 2004
                                    "We can make changes, yes, but to what avail I wonder, if there is a spy amongst the ranks."

                                    Faramir seemed to ponder this, then said,

                                    "Maybe we should trust only ourselves, fully. In my heart, I believe the men are loyal to me, and yes, more so to me than my father, but I did not say this, mind you...so it is a hard lot for me to accept that one of my own has been the cause of the fall of our brothers. I do not wish to believe that this could be so, but there seems no other explanation."

                                    Again Faramir took time to think before speaking.

                                    "Tis not what we believe that guides our minds, but our hearts. Tis what we do not wish to believe that sometimes fools our minds and our hearts.  We must be not foolish of heart or mind, and accuse not in haste those who seem most suspicious. What we think we know as truth can deceive us and one wrong turn can lead us down the darkest passages."

                                    Faramir turned to Keold.

                                    "Yes, I think that a talk with Barad is in order. Only then will I make a decision. Decisions made in haste when not required as when in the heat of battle, can sometimes lead us down those dark paths of which I spoke."

                                    ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

                                    In a message dated 10/4/2004 4:51:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, muts@... writes:

                                    "It is hard to put it down into words, let alone hard facts. It
                                    is an invisible enemy we are dealing with and yet not.  When we
                                    found Barad and the other two they were all pretty shaken by the
                                    events. Later, when Barad was able to talk he told me what
                                    happened. They were not near the main road at all. Although they
                                    were preparing for a patrol. From what I heard they came from
                                    behind.. and they hit fast and hard.. like if they knew where
                                    and how to hit. It worries me. He lost a lot of men that day.
                                    Maybe we should make new bases, changethe formation of the
                                    groups, at least talk to our couriers. Maybe they have heard
                                    unusual things." Keold knew that they would pass the first watch
                                    soon. "Maybe we should discuss this with Barad and a map. We
                                    should get there within an hour or so."

                                  • Muts
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 6, 2004
                                      > "Yes, I think that a talk with Barad is in order. Only then will I make
                                      > a decision. Decisions made in haste when not required as when in the
                                      > heat of battle, can sometimes lead us down those dark paths of which I
                                      > spoke."

                                      Keold nodded. "I first want to see facts, but the turn of events do worry
                                      me. We have lost men and our group is not as large as we used to be. Is it
                                      reasonable to cling on to full control of Ithilien like we used to do? Or
                                      should we we re-group and change tactics?

                                      Keold was silent for a while, but eventually spoke again. "Sir you speak
                                      of our judgments being ruled by the heart. Please forgive my bluntness,
                                      but you speak of a Dark Lord none has seen. A myth from legend or so it
                                      seems. Orcs, Haradrim: tanglibe enemies, but what you speak off I cannot
                                      phantom and yes, I cannot fight. I do not think that there is one amongst
                                      us that speaks to the enemy, but once slip of the tongue in a tavern with
                                      too much ale. A lass living near the Haradrim border that one of our men
                                      might have spoken to..." Keold paused. "The facts are is that we lost too
                                      many good men and we must find out how to prevent that from happening
                                      again. In these times we have to stick together and bringing you back to
                                      Ithilien is just the beginning."

                                      Keold spotted one of his wardens nearby. Smoothly he directed his horse
                                      into Meardil's direction and spoke: "Any word from Mablung or Damrod
                                      Meardil?"

                                      "Not yet sir, but once we do we will let you know as soon as possible."
                                      Keold nodded his approval and moved onwards up the hill.

                                      ***
                                      Sorcha
                                    • Raskonikov5@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 9, 2004
                                        Faramir remained quiet for a long time. He was not ignoring Keold, there was just so much he was not sure of but had guessed at.  Dreams he did not quite understand. Things he had to keep secret in his heart.

                                        Seek the sword that was broken.... Isildur's Bane....

                                        Faramir had over some time, tried to understand all that was known to him regarding the unnamed one, and the darkening Ithilien. Yes, Keold knew how to fight the Haradrim, they all did, but the unnamed one was another matter. Isildur's Bane was to do with it, he knew, but he knew not everything. How could he tell Keold half truths and guesses? He would not lie to him men, but he knew not enough to discuss it, and if this thing was some dark heirloom, some instrument of the dark lord, what good would it do them?

                                        Boromir had sent no word, and Faramir was doubtful that everything had gone well in Rivendell.  His Father kept from him secrets he would not reveal as if he regarded Faramir as a stupid wayward child not old enough to understand, or perhaps not brave enough to take on such a task.

                                        Mithrandir had come before, foreshadowing all that was now happening.  He had seemed hurried, retreating to the records of Minas Tirith, and leaving just as quickly.  Why?

                                        Boromir sent off to Rivendell as an interpretation of a dream. What did his Father seek? Was it this heirloom ..was this thing Isildur's Bane, and was it a tool of the unnamed one over the mountains in the forsaken wasteland of Mordor?

                                        There were too many questions and too few answers.

                                        There would be no discussion of these matters outside of the house of Denethor.

                                        Why the Haradrim were moving was a mystery to the rangers, perhaps, but Faramir knew that they were not moving by chance, on a whim. He was certain the unnamed one had a hand in it. He was also certain that unless things could be put right, Gondor would fall.  Osgiliath was vulnerable, and if all the defenses crumbled, then so would the walls of the White City, and the world of men, and all that was once would be no more.

                                        These dark thoughts troubled Faramir as he went on his way, but he knew that the men would need to focus on the tangible enemy and for the time being, that was what he most focus on as well with an eye to the East.

                                        "I know not what we will do," Faramir finally spoke. "Let us find out all that we can. Let us lay out a map and follow the movements of the enemy. When this I have seen, I will decide what we shall do."

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 12, 2004
                                          On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:01:40 EDT, Raskonikov5@... wrote:

                                          OOC: sorry to be this silent, Internet probs. New cable modem
                                          and such.

                                          > "I know not what we will do," Faramir finally spoke. "Let us
                                          > find out all that we can. Let us lay out a map and follow the
                                          > movements of the enemy. When this I have seen, I will decide
                                          > what we shall do."

                                          "We are almost there," Keold replied.

                                          "Sir, that day on Osgiliath, when during the battle to defend
                                          the bridge.... " Keold paused. That day he, Boromir, Faramir and
                                          Barad barely survived the destruction of the brigde and shivered
                                          for a moment. "That black rider, is that what you mean with
                                          darkness that a threat to Gondor?"

                                          He turned his horse left again and noticed the first guards at
                                          the entrance of the gate. Almost there.

                                          **

                                          Sorcha
                                          --
                                          "The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart."
                                          -- Saint Jerome

                                          http://www.misarray.info
                                        • Raskonikov5@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 12, 2004
                                            "There are many things which are a mystery, even to me, Keold, and the black rider is one of them, but yes, this is what I refer to." Faramir answered.

                                            He paused as if contemplating whether to speak further.

                                            "My brother has gone to Rivendell to seek answers, and as I said, he has been gone for some time. I think now that it is more than answers he seeks.  Until is return, I must concern myself with the defense of our borders, but I ca feel the darkness growing, and I fear for Gondor. There is something far more evil, I fear than we imagined at first, in the workings, but with no word form Boromir and no counsel from my Father, I cannot understand it all. Sometimes I feel as a blind man walking into a crowded market, and at other times, I feel as if my eyes have been shrouded from truth. This I should not say, and I sayeth it to you only, because no other should hear these words from my lips, but I think that my Father is keeping something from me, and it troubles me greatly. For now, I look to the East, and to the South, and I concern myself with what enemies that mine eyes can surely see, though in my heart, I know that these are not the greatest perils we face."

                                            Faramir looked to the guards, then back to Keold. He hoped he hadn't said too much.

                                            "Come, we have much to do."