Re: [dansguardian] I-CAP for the future?

  • Alexander Marx
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
      Orlow, Jeremy wrote:
      > Could someone give me a 2 sentence answer to this: what is i-cap? I tried looking at the official sites, but couldn't sift through the loads of...marketing that were thrown at me.

      hm, icap server/client support for dg/dgav would be neat.

      it would allow dg (as an icap server) to easily integrate into
      existing content inspection architectures (through an open protocol)
      and/or on the other side allow dgav (as an icap client) to utilize
      existing icap servers for av-scanning ..

      see for example the samba-vscan project on openantivirus.org,
      which brings icap-client functionality into samba (allowing it
      to av-scan files on access with the help of an icap-server)

      however, rewriting dg to provide icap-server functionality is
      probably not that easy ... but a starting point could be
      a simple icap-client viruscanning class (for dgav) ...

      (iirc there was even some talk about icap support for
      clamav on one of their lists)

      > From what I saw, it looks like a glorified plug-in architecture that would consume cpu power and require DG to written in a very different way.

      http://www.i-cap.org/spec/rfc3507.txt section 4.1
      gives a pretty decent introduction to icap.

      > That's my $0.02.
      >
      > Jeremy

      my EUR0.02 :-)

      regards,
      alex.
    • Christopher Weimann
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
        On 08/03/2004-09:18PM, Peter Arnold wrote:

        > Hi, just a thought but has ICAP been considered as a future
        > option/direction for dansguardian? It strikes me a a good fit to
        > the concept of dansguardian doing what DG and/or DGAV does best and
        > leaving all the ACLs and authentication to squid.

        I do think that ICAP is absolutely the right direction but I think it is
        very dependant on the quality of the ICAP support in Squid. I get the
        impression that it is lacking at the moment.