Large bannedphraselist performance

  • laurence@gazelle.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi All!

      Could someone tell me the performance impact on DansGuardian 1.1.5 with a
      large (600+ entries) bannedphraselist? Will it slow it considerably?

      We're looking at about 100 users on one site, and up to 1000 on another, I
      cant say the hardware setup yet, as we haven't specified it.....

      I know DG2 is faster, but I'm gonna wait a little for a few more
      releases/bugfixes before I grab it.....

      Thanks!

      Laurence J Praties tel: 0871 871 0222
      Systems Administrator fax:0871 871 0223
      Gazelle Informatics Ltd laurence.praties@...
    • Daniel Barron
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        In message <OFFA2DE03E.20B3EB71-ON80256AF6.0035A99D@...> you
        wrote:

        > Hi All!
        >
        > Could someone tell me the performance impact on DansGuardian 1.1.5 with a
        > large (600+ entries) bannedphraselist? Will it slow it considerably?

        Yes. It is 1.1.5's achilles heel.

        2.x.x is a lot better. It has been tested with 4000 phrases before with
        a hundred users and 500Mhz. But I would not use this many normally. Not
        with over 80 users.

        Increasing the speed is something I will be spending a lot of time on
        shortly.

        > We're looking at about 100 users on one site, and up to 1000 on another, I
        > cant say the hardware setup yet, as we haven't specified it.....

        For the 100 users, 700Mhz. For the 1000 users 1Ghz min and DG2.

        > I know DG2 is faster, but I'm gonna wait a little for a few more
        > releases/bugfixes before I grab it.....

        Ye of little faith! DG2 actually has bugs in 1.1.5 fixed. Once DG2.1 is
        out, all known bugs will be fixed. Well they were nearly until I found the
        latest one.

        As the programmer, I would trust 2.1 a lot more than 1.1.5. Besides, 2.1
        has the most usefull (to me) features of squidGuard built in and its a lot
        faster than squidGuard at the same job.

        [snip]

        --
        Daniel Barron
      • laurence@gazelle.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
          Well, looks like I'll be getting 2.1 as soon as it's released then! Thanks
          for the hard work!

          Laurence J Praties tel: 0871 871 0222
          Systems Administrator fax:0871 871 0223
          Gazelle Informatics Ltd laurence.praties@...

          Daniel Barron
          <dg@...> To: dansguardian@yahoogroups.com
          cc: (bcc: Laurence J Praties/NOR/Gazelle
          01/11/01 08:19 Informatics Ltd)
          Please respond Subject: Re: [dansguardian] Large
          to bannedphraselist performance
          dansguardian