Re: Autodetect of proxy config in IE

  • Sean, Sharon and Kyle Harbour
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
      Here's the quick, simple way of getting autoconfig to work with IE.
      First, make sure the client computer is setup with the correct search
      domain, either manually, or preferrably from DHCP. For example,
      testsite.testdomain.com. Go into the configuration of IE and
      checkmark Autodetect proxy. Make sure no other settings are checked.
      IE is hardcoded to look for a web server called wpad, so if you have
      already have a webserver, say, at www.testsite.testdomain.com, create
      a CNAME (alias in MS speak) entry called wpad that points to
      www.testsite.testdomain.com. Now, make a copy of your proxy.pac file,
      rename it wpad.dat (I symlink mine to the proxy.pac), and put it in
      the default root directory of the web server. The sequence of events
      goes like this.

      IE is started.
      IE determines that the local clients primary search domain is
      testsite.testdomain.com.
      IE attempts to download the file
      http://wpad.testsite.testdomain.com/wpad.dat
      If successful, IE autoconfigures and brings up the default web page.
      If it fails, IE truncates the search domain by 1, then attempts to
      download the file http://wpad.testdomain.com/wpad.dat
      If this fails, IE then attempts to connect directly.

      The nice thing about this is that if you have control of the DNS
      entries for the two domains that it searches, you can point the CNAME
      entries to two separate webservers. That gives you redundancy in case
      the first webserver goes down.

      I usually setup apache on my proxy server to serve out the banned
      pages and other proxy related information. I put the proxy.pac file
      in the document root, and symlink wpad.dat to it. I have a primary
      and backup proxy defined in the proxy.pac. Then I setup a secondary
      web server in the domain above, so the clients have automatic
      failover in case the primary proxy/webserver is unavailable. It seems
      to be a pretty good system, and it only requires a single checkmark
      in the config, which is helpful for having unsophisticated help
      configure the clients correctly the first time around. :-)

      Sean Harbour

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Simon Faulkner
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
        Awesome answer!

        Thanks VERY much.

        I am now an expert :-))

        Simon
        PS. Is there an FAQ that this can go in? I guess that many people wonder
        about this when setting up a proxy...

[...]

        You may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

      • Daniel Barron
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2003
          In message <BLECKNFOENPAKKMLPFPGGEEEKJAA.simon@...> you wrote:

          > Simon
          > PS. Is there an FAQ that this can go in? I guess that many people wonder
          > about this when setting up a proxy...

          I have linked to it on the howto page now :)

          --
          Daniel Barron
          "Tis true, there's magic in the web" (Othello - William Shakespeare)